Welding kick stand

mr8ball

Registered
I have already done the kick stand mod but it still does not seem to be enough. It is lowered front and back. Last week I was out in the wind and it really did not feel safe when I got off. I have decided to cut my stand and weld it but wanted to make sure what the stand was made of and what type of welding should be done on it. My sept dad has some rods for cast iron. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance

I cut the kickstand off on my wife's old sv650. The shop next to mine welded it for me. Word of advice? Cut off the foot of the stand, then cut the stand off and just re-weld the foot back on. I've seen guys cut out of the middle and weld, but if you just weld the foot on worst case scenario if the weld fails you're bike won't fall. It also keeps the spring location and that little nipple that you hook your foot on the same height as stock. Just my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

The kickstand mod is for stability of Busa's with stock height. All it does is let the kickstand come out farther forward. If you lower the bike you will need a shorter kickstand to keep it from being up right. After Market adjustable or mod the original, I cut the foot off and cut it just below the piece to kick it out to the down position, welded the foot back on and done for mine.

The STOCK kickstand is NOT aluminum

Thanks for the info Busa1166. I knew it was not aluminum. My plans were to cut the foot off as you said but just wanted to make sure what it was made of. Cast Steel is what I was told. What did you weld yours with? Thanks again

I used regular filler for steel...with a mig...a few passes to fill in the material and then ground it smooth

Spend the 50 bucks and get an adjustable one. Alot of people dont like them for some reason but mine has yet to let me down.

Just chop and mig it, i think i did a grand total of 8 of em last summer, one of which was fast frogs, none of which have failed :laugh:

What can i say my people like em low:thumbsup:

I've arc welded and mig welded them, no problem. They look like a forging to me. I guess I could tke a chunk to work and find out.

I got it done. My Step Farther has been a welder pretty much all his life and did a great job on it. He used a stick welder. I took a 1/2" off of it and its much better. Thanks guys for all the help.

Back