Vtx or a busa

Nekosohana

Registered
I've pm'd a few owners of the VTX that have a Busa as well, but I wanted to asked anyone who owns a cruiser AND a Busa, or swapped their cruiser FOR a Busa.

I'm looking hopefull for opinions from the 1500cc classes and higher, as I currently have a VTX 1800.

I'm looking at an 04 Busa LE. The reason is that I want something that is truly fast (check), that is a little, not a lot sportier (check?), and that can meet my touring needs as well (check from pashnit's website). What I don't know is weather I will regret the decision. I know most are going to lean to the Busa, and I also know in the end it's my decision, but there seem to be a decent amount of cruises here that swapped and I wanted some hands on thoughts.

Another part of my question, I live in Plano, and used Busas are a bit rare here. Slightly rarer than I would like, there is an abundance of new ones, but I want a used one, I'm not paying depreciation again if I can avoid it.

But this stealer wants almost $9800 for a consignment STOCK 04 LE. Nada and KBB say that its worth about $8500, and having worked in the car industry I know that it could go for about $90-92 at the highest, but they won't budge. So my second question is for a 2 year old bike is it unreasonable for me to be asking ABOUT 9k for this bike? That's still 500 over book, and I think it's silly personally.

I want this LE because it's the red color, and I like it, but I already have 2 bikes (VTX 1800 and a 98 Bandit), I'm willing to sell them both, but I have no intention of making them 1000 bucks richer simply on the prospect of "I say I can".

Any and all thoughts are welcome. Thank you all!

Went from an old Honda Magna to the BUSA and I love it, the Busa that is, no regrets in the buy which is odd for me. The Hayabusa does nothing but make me smile. I only frown when I can't ride her, and I was impressed with how comfy she is to me.

The Busa is a bike of passion. You'll love or hate it (I bet you'll love it...). I have mine for a few months now, but each time I park my car in the garage and look at her she thrills me each and every day. I owned other bikes before, but the feelings you get from a Busa are just amazing... As for the price, here in Portugal a new one costs 13.100 Eur (1 Euro = 1.24983 U.S. Dollars), so they don't come cheap, and they are indeed rare on the 2nd hand market...

I've had a few Different Cruisers

1)

1aa.jpg

2 & 3)

86hv.jpg

And I never looked back or regreated my decision to get this

vv6aa.jpg

The Busa does everything I could ever want any bike to do. Power, sound, comfort, after-market options, beauty, the list of all the good things I can say about this bike is endless.

A cruiser is nice, but I taken a few trips that were several hundred miles on a cruiser & it was painfuly obvious that cruisers are more suited for riding out of the city and than turning around and heading back home after about 100 miles at most - atleast for me that was the case.

I also find way to much attitude in the cruiser community, if you dont have this option, or if its not american made, or if your not wearing the stylish gear...your sorta shunned - scoffed at, or avoided - because Image is everything with alot of people in this crowd. I like people who love bikes, and who ride bikes - not just bar-hop or pose for the gals. Now, I know Im sorta going off on a rant of what is only my opinion, however the Busa has opened up so many new avenues to meet new friends, better my riding skills, and has let me completely enjoy the bike for what a bike should do - not just hype b.s. about it.

Will I ever own another cruiser again - NO - when the Busa is too much for me, and that could be a long time because we have several riders in their 60's & 70's on Busa's - than Im getting a BMW. Honda VTX is a nice bike, sorta like a Lazy-Boy with 2 wheels, but reliable and good aftermarket, but its not a bike that will improve your riding skills like a Busa.

The cruiser was a Bike I got on and just rode, the Busa is an emotional / religious experience to me. Looking at a Busa is one thing, but to own one and ride one daily is a whole different experience - one that is not understood outside of the Busa community. yes I am passionate about the Busa, like many BMW riders are about their bikes - and they do have good reason to love their bikes, but they are also true riders as I would term it.

When I rode with guys on cruisers, when we stopped off to eat, we talked about almost everything but the cruiser...except how you like your new chrome, or did you see that corner I took at 50 mph, or hey you forgot to take the sales tag of your new leather that you said were 10 years old.... Now when I ride with Busa riders there is a whole new language and understanding of bike terminology. Busa riders in general tend to be way above average in motorcycle skills and knowledge, and even though some of us are adrenaline junkies, we know the reality of the machine were on and ride it with respect.

I wish you could rent a Busa for 1 week and put 1,500 miles on it. You would than experience some of what Im talking about, and so much more. If you decide against the Busa - I understand, it is not a bike for just anyone, but if you do get one, you will see why my post is so lengthy.

Good luck to ya, stay safe, and keep us updated.

John

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147824464 -->

I think if I went to a cruiser it would be the M109 Boulevard. Feels comfy, 240 rear tire, power to back it up! Seems like a great bike!

I can tell you in about 1 week, since I just got the check for my 1800 and will be picking up the busa hopefully Friday or Saturday. I did ride a busa before making the sale to be sure that it was the right bike for me. I've read a lot on here about how heavy the busa is and care must be taken in low speed turns, but after the x the zuk felt like a featherweight. Rideability was awesome on the one I tried. Dead stable, holds the line through corners like it's on rails, and the power ? holy $heet! The nice thing is, it's not at all twitchy like a liter bike, just smooth and torquey. After getting off the busa, my x felt like a complete slug, and it will light up the back tire with just throttle. I don't hope I made the right choice, I'm sure I did.

Perhaps one of the biggest factors in making this decision is do you ride alone.  Though the Busa is probably one of the most comfortable 2 up sport cruisers, it does not, and never will compare to the comfort of your vtx for trips with your significant other.  As the owner of both a Busa and roadstar 1700, if I'm on my own there's no question what I'm slinging my leg over weather it's just a trip to the store or and all day excursion.  But if the wife's going along and I want us BOTH TO ENJOY THE RIDE, the Busa will stay in the garage.

Beyond that one comparison, you really can't compare the 2 because they aren't the same animal.  The Busa is a dream of a machine and if you like the more sporty ride and the gobs of extra power, you'll smile forever and never look back.
smile.gif

IMG_0197.jpg

do a search for tedbiele on this site he is a general manager in a dealership down in your area pm him see what he's got. if not if you feel like a little traveling Deep Creek Marina in mchenry Maryland they have the 06 blue grey posted now for 9599 thats new. bring it back to Texas and register it. thats what I did I live in Lubbock Tx area some of the dallas guys will chime in eventually with some ideas also good luck and welcome to the board
biggrin.gif

Thank you to all of the responses.  I am talking to a local guy as well, who owns the Central Yamaha dealership.  He's a good aquaintence, and said that he is expecting to get one on trade this week, so maybe it will find it's way to me.

As for the comment of "What do you want?"  I find myself riding my 98 Bandit mroe than my 03' 1800VTX.  Sad really.  Thank you for all the responses, and I will look this Biele guy up as well.

If you are looking at paying 9800 for a 2 year old bike if it was me I would spend a couple hundred more and get a brand new one. Picked my 06 up in Ok. for 9800 and I know would not be that far of a drive from Plano.

Very true, that was part of my second question, I thought it was too high.

But I will check some of those OK dealerships as well. I'm not in a huge rush, I already have 2 bikes, so it's not as though I am without a ride.
wink.gif

Ha! Do you know what the VTX'ers call the "Dark Side"? It's putting a car tire on the back. Whew.

But thanks for the invite, I really am looking, so preperation and opportunity should hopefully meet anytime now and I will be riding a "new" (hopefully affordable used) Busa instead.
biggrin.gif

I have a VTX and a Busa. I keep the VTX solely for 2 up riding. If I had to choose between them, I'd pick the Busa. Don't tell my VTX I said that...

Which brings up a question for all, I haven't searched this one but I will.

2 up riding. My girl likes the sportier ride on the Bandit, and it's a communal seat.

Are there any positive thoughts on 2 up?

A good friend has a vtx and i have rode it and my busa. It comes to preference to which you will like. my busa is coming up on a year old in june, at that time i plan to have 12000 miles on it. It is very comfortable to me and I have taken it on many trips from ny to tn and back again. i have been all the way to oklhoma and back. It rides very smooth. I never wanted to clean all of that chome so a busa made perfect sense. The vtx is a good bike, but is a different ride all together, good luck with your quest.:)

bike.jpg

Back