Vance and Hines head

dolilind

Registered
Hey all,
Is anyone out there running the Vance and Hines head? Ive have a chance to put one on while my bikes in the shop gettting some tranny work and top end goodies. Is it worth the $1200 (listing for$2800) also with 2nd intake cam?

Last edited:
Hey all,
Is anyone out there running the Vance and Hines head? Ive have a chance to put one on while my bikes in the shop gettting some tranny work and top end goodies. Is it worth the $1200 (listing for$2800) also with 2nd intake cam?

guessing this is "exchange" ? is it worth it? depends on what shape it is in and what was done... I would want to see the flow charts for the head (if it had work done, it should have been flowed) If anything looks sketchy, then it needs verified by a third party before you lay over all the money..

Heads are the "magic" of a motor and where the most power is to be had (or for that mater lost) bad port work is a disaster and on a street motor, "less is more" usually... (meaning, it is way to easy to "over port" a street head)

I had a customer who over ported a head and it caused all kinds of drive ability problems that he is still trying to tune out,??? without much success I might add.

If your gonna spend the cash on a head get a good one from a reputable source. Check over on Psychobike.com. There's usually lots of deals to be had there and the info available is great too.

FYI, STAY AWAY FROM CARPENTER!! They will screw you over.

Found out what is done to the head. Vance and hines pro head. Has been decked 1mm, with 1mm over valves? Cam off a bike the is going to a 1600+ motor from a 1397. Some reason they need a different dome cut in the head than the V&H can give them.

this was the sponsered shop bike that the head came off of..

does this sound right?

Last edited:
The problem I see is that your buying a head off an engine that had a specific build to it. I'm sure talking to a good engine builder will help guide you in the direction you need to go. Generally anything that has been milled will increase compression. You also do not want a head that's too big for your engine combination which might even result in less HP than what you have now and have really poor drivability. You should be looking for a mildly ported or cleaned up head with a good set of cams. You can also replace your stock exhaust cam with a stock intake cam for better performance.

I would still be inclined to have my own head re-worked a bit..

port/pocket work and minimal cleanup and proper valve job can do wonders.. (and still street rideable..

Back