V8 Anyone?

Elsboss

Registered
Hello Gentlemen,

Just got my '05 'Busa and wanted to check in. I've read this forum til my eyes started bleeding and find it to be a great source of info from a great group of contributors. I really like this site and the new bike a bunch and wanted to hopefully add something some may enjoy.

I wanted to add my 2 cents on something I know about which isn't yet this bike. I do know about V8 bikes which I've been into for the last 4 years pretty heavy. It's actually what spurred me to the 'Busa believe it or not (I'm sure you do).

I've had 2 bigblock (502 c.i.) Boss Hoss 2 wheelers, 2 Boss Hoss 3 wheelers (one 502 and one 350 for wife). One of my bigblocks had a pretty big nitrous hit (200 hp).All gone now but have a V8 Chopper in the garage with a kick-a$$ nitrous smallblock. Single speed automatic tranny. I also have a BMW LT for riding Momma around 'cause we're getting old and fat. Anyhow...

I spend many Friday nights at the track (1/8th mile) here in SW Florida. Run with about 9 other V8 guys all into the drags. Some of us have other bikes as well from Goldwings, to Busa's to Rocket III's etc. We love bikes ('cept for Harleys) and I have personally rode since 1968 (Honda S90). One of our more wicked rides is my partner's V8 chopper with a Weiand 144 blower AND nitrous on a modified Chevy smallblock. One guy runs a 540 stroker (with nitrous), another an aluminum 606 Donovan and the most bada$$...a highly modified Chevy smallblock with very expensive heads, radical roller cam and a 300 hp nitrous shot.

In spite of all the above fru fru, we watch the Jap bikes launch like carrier jets (while we smoke tires) and come in with times that sometimes embarass us. A lot of the plain vanilla (or very slightly modified) 'Busa's and ZX12R's run mid 6's with the guys running more significant mods running very low 6's. In order for the V8's to run low 6's (best amongst us is a 6.05) we have to crank out 700+ hp including the use of a  big nitrous shot. The stock V8's can't beat a 600cc Jap bike mostly due to tire slippage off the line and pretty anemic fuel delivery and ignition. A stock Boss Hoss smallblock will run low to mid 7's and in the 100 mph range while the stock bigblocks do very little better. The bigblocks are 200 lbs heavier @ 1,300 lbs and just can't prevent significant wheel slippage even with a street/strip car tire rather than the stock 230 Avons the factory uses.

A good bud and Boss Hoss owner bought a 'Busa a few years ago and to gig us on the way to Daytona, rode it with a shirt he had made up that read; "Boss Hoss Killer". We dragged the whole way there and although we could pull him from the rolling runs, at the Boss Hoss shift point, all we saw was the 'Busa's tailight.

I've found most of the Jap bike riders I run across, here and in NC, to be a great group of guys. Many, like us V8 guys, are into speed and bikes regardless of the badge. Most of us really admire the Jap bikes and visa versa. I've crossed the line with a few others and have the best of both worlds.

My main reason for posting this is to promote any of you 'Busa guys (of which I am now proudly one) to be sure to give any of the V8 guys you see on the street hell. Some are the Rolex crowd and they're all show and no go. Can't change their own oil, never been into the secondaries, only interested in how many people will gawk at the gas station and bike night stops. Others like myself are old motorheads and really enjoy getting it on.

The bottom line here is that almost unequivacably, the 'Busa will tear the V8's up. I love to see it and am now part of it. Gotta love whipping Joe Rolex who has enough dough to fork out 30 someodd grand + on a V8 and thinks he's a bigshot to be whipped like a beaten dog by a $10k Jap bike. LOVE IT! The lower the speed, the more advantage you have. Tire spin at low speed kill the V8's. The 2 speed Boss Hoss's have a crap tranny that can't take a WOT shift and they come off the throttle for their final (2nd) gear shift. It's right at 115-120 mph and you'll go by them like they're on the brakes. If they do a WOT shift, there will probably be tranny parts in the road. Puked mine 4 times on the 502 two wheeler.

I knew I was going to add the big Kaw or the 'Busa when first hearing and then viewing a video done in Dyersburg, Tenn at the Boss Hoss factory. A rather stock ZX12R racing a new bigblock 502 Boss with one of the factory guys aboard. It was shameful. Virtually every scenario, from a stop to many different rolling starts, the ZX12R spanked the Boss. The Boss owners were making up all kinds of BS excuses but there was no arguing the facts.

I love my V8 chopper and I love this new 'Busa. Still, I can't get over the chuckle when seeing one of the Jap bikes convincingly spank a V8. Now I'm going to be one of the reasons there will be some teeth gritting V8 owners in SW Florida, hee hee.

Great board guys. Good to be aboard. Best regards,

Elliot

Welcome to the board!!!! Great post, I saw Mark Martin one time on one of those Boss Bikes, dont think his was a big block though. If nothing else, they are somewhat a marvel of engenuity, and very good conversation pieces. I think if you guys get your traction and gearing problems addressed, the races would be alot closer. Again, welcome to the board!
smile.gif

Welcome to the board. How bout some pics of your bikes? Sounds like you have had some nice ones. Congrats.

You can see pics of Boss Hoss bikes here:

www.ebosshoss.com

Jon's a very good customer of mine. My experiece with them is limited to putting around the grounds of the USA Speedway here in Lakeland. I'd love to take one out for a good cruise. Personally, at the price point, I doubt I would ever own one but they sure are cool!

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Don't know how to post a pic yet but will find out and put a pic up of the chopper. You guys can get a look at their website by going to www.v8choppers.com . Mine was a partially finished one that my bud and I completed. We did all the motor work. Unlike the Boss Hoss V8's which are huge and pretty piggy looking, the V8Choppers are much slimmer and lighter. Mine weighs in at about 900 lbs which isn't that much heavier than some of the big tour bikes. 600+ hp (includes 100hp nitrous shot) keeps it in the mid 6's and it hooks up great ascompared to the heavier V8's.

Knifemaker, I used to live in Lakeland just south of the airport. Plane was based there to do our offices in the S.E. Still drive there once p/wk from Ft.Myers. Wife was born in Lakeland. Used to do the track there often.

I know Jon U. well. Bought my wife's trike from him and sold a few of his bikes to buds here.

I miss riding from Polk into Lake County. No good riding around Ft.Myers and Naples. Lots of blue haired types in white 4 door Buicks clogging the few roads we have. The only good thing is the bikinis and the drag track. Can also get to S.Beach and Coconut Grove in about 2 hrs. Best regards,

Elliot

WELCOME!
wink.gif

Good to see you enjoy something you love, that's what it's really all about. Not what brand you ride but the people you meet along the way!
cool.gif

You don't have a link to that video with the ZX-12R -vs- Boss Hoss do you? I remember that big debate a while back when Hoss was claiming fastest production motorcycle! I just wanted to see the actual footage of it.

Josh
blues.gif

I'm sorry I don't. I know some of the guys on the Kawasaki boards must have it. Only one of the Boss Hoss guys had it. A fella by the name of Carb Mike in Pa. Now that he's president of the Boss Hoss Rider's Assoc. I doubt he'd make it available for fear the factory would be less than happy.

I actually talked to the guy from the BH factory who was driving. Very capable guy named Doug. They even put the owner of BH, Monte, on the backseat to try and get better traction. All the Boss Hoss diehards were in denial forever. Kept saying the 12R must have been highly modified and all kinds of rubbish. Even from different rolls, the Boss was never close.

A number of guys were saying that given the room, the Boss would have blown away the Kaw. That too is totally incorrect. We have run the smallblocks and bigblocks at or very near WOT on I-75 and in the Everglades. 160 on the smallblocks and 170 on the bigblocks is it for stock bikes. There are some gearing possibilities but nobody does it. Bigblocks generally redline @ 5,550 rpm before you get valves floating. Stock smallblocks around 6,000. The 2nd gear is not a true 2nd gear but rather an overdrive. You can't attain redline in that overdrive. The final thing and one that made me squirrely is that the tires are NOT rated for those weights. They are using an Avon Venom that is customarily a rear tire for a cruiser on the front of the Boss and going counter directionally. The rear tires from the factory are Avon 230's which are the closest rated for that weight but actually designed for Wings and such. The ME 880's are not rated for that weight and a number of guys have gone to car tires. Ever try steering a 1,300 lb bike on a flat 265 (or bigger) car tire through the curves at speed? Now THAT's some scary $hit.

I love V8's. Just a by-product of growing up in the 60's and muscle car days. Still, when it comes to 2 wheelers...the 'Busa totally rules. One happy ol' fat boy on mine.

Elliot

Thanks for the info.....the video is kind of crappy though. Still nice to see and read about!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

That video doesn't do it justice for sure. There are about 30 Boss Hoss bikes in my area of SW Florida. About a dozen I ride with regularly. We're always doing the street drag thang although we're all teetering on the brink with points on the DL. Luckily, we have a great IHRA 1/8th mile track that has Test & Tune every Friday night and half the year Wednesday also. For $15 you can run the nuts out of your bike and we do. Funny how much better they run on the street then when you're staged at the track with the clock ticking
wink.gif
!

If any of you guys are in the area or visiting and want to check it out, give me a holler via email and I'll be glad to show you around. Lot of fun and in spite of the 'Busa being new, I left so pumped this past Friday I had to forget the 5,500 rpm recommended break-in maximum and see what 150 mph (5th gear, 8,000 rpm) felt like on the way home! Needless to say...it t'was good!

BTW, fastest bike this past Friday was a nitrous smallblock V8 (300 hp nitrous squirt, no 'puter) that did a 6.05 . Funny seeing an 1,100 lb Boss wheelstanding down the track 100'. The fastest machine wasn't a V8 with blower, turbo, juice or any combo of the above. It was a rail job that had a Buick V6 and a real biga$$ turbo. Ran consistent 4.25's and has set track records numerous times. Again proving it's NOT displacement that counts!

Elliot

Cool Read--V8---vs Busa.
I am in the process of putting a small block 350 chev into our 84 Volvo Wagon---can you say [sleeper]----Kits are available--all gauges work as does tha AC. cheap sort of...will be fun to hassle those pesky Lexus etc.--with a trailer--01 Busa, 05 Yammer wr250 ,and wifes 71 SL100 inside.
laugh.gif

That is indeed an interesting project. You can flip between it being the Volvo stationwagon hotrod or the Volvo stationwagon truck! Don't forget to put a Sniper plate under the 4 barrel so when you're in the hotrod mode, you can give it an extra 125 hp shot of juice!

Elliot

Back