Typical over heating Gen 1, with a solution.

JeffSyh

Registered
This post is for anyone who has over heating issues with Gen 1 Busa's. My story starts with my first ever busa I purchased this winter. I picked up a 2005 busa with 22,000km for a steal of a price $2300 Canadian delivered to my house. The bike ran and started fine in the middle of winter (-20 Celsius), I let the bike idle and run for about 10 minutes before I handed the guy cash no overheating issues or nothing (I couldn't ride it due to it being middle of winter) but here comes the kicker. I brought into my heated garage and let it run for a bit and within 5 minutes it boiled over and hit red, the guy wasnt even 5 minutes out of the city I asked for my money back he told me to kick rocks. So I started going through the bike pressure tested the coolant system, checked fan stat, checked thermostat, did a compression test, I then ordered a new rad cap, thermo stat and flushed and filled with engine ice. I suspected rad cap from the start but wanted to make sure the engine was healthy before I proceeded with anything else. Before changing the thermostat or putting engine ice in I ran it with distilled water with just the new rad cap I let it idle for about and only went a little over half way temp wise.

Moral of the story the rad cap rubber is over 15 years old now and wore out, so if anyone is looking at or has a gen 1 busa do a rad cap!!!

I have a K6 busa with lot of mods. I had a massive overheating problem, when I ride on montains, and stopped, the cooling fluid flown from tank reservoir. I changed radiator cap to higher pressure type, changed fan switch to Honda Accord type (lower temperature), made hand switched radiator fan, later added a second fan, repositioned the IAT sensor, and fan switch (before radiator), certainly checked the termostat, and it looked like it worked, but under pressure cannot opened. Finally the cylinder and cylinder head little bit warped, grounded into a plane both, got a new gasket, and new termostat, and currently my bike it also works perfectly in heat . I strongly suggest a fan swith relocation kit, and a new termostat, not too much cost none of them.
I made myself a temp switch relocation kit.
90925855_240301584035440_7544273066612752384_n.jpg

My bike never had a single burping issue I ran flush through it, and 3 full cycles of distilled water without having it over heat once due to air trapped. But if you are ever worried about air run a vacuum coolant filler I use one for ISX cummins due to their heads designs. My busa I just filled, then left the cap off squeezed the hoses put the cap on and went from side to side took off cap and topped up then put cap back on ran to temp let it cool then topped up rinse repeat.

I have a K6 busa with lot of mods. I had a massive overheating problem, when I ride on montains, and stopped, the cooling fluid flown from tank reservoir. I changed radiator cap to higher pressure type, changed fan switch to Honda Accord type (lower temperature), made hand switched radiator fan, later added a second fan, repositioned the IAT sensor, and fan switch (before radiator), certainly checked the termostat, and it looked like it worked, but under pressure cannot opened. Finally the cylinder and cylinder head little bit warped, grounded into a plane both, got a new gasket, and new termostat, and currently my bike it also works perfectly in heat . I strongly suggest a fan swith relocation kit, and a new termostat, not too much cost none of them.
I made myself a temp switch relocation kit.View attachment 1624007

Mines 100% stock and the bike hasn't over heated once even today in traffic and it was 93F. I dont plan on doing any cooling mods since it sits at just above middle line at a stop and highway below middle line, engine ice is a huge help for this. I just posted this because I went threw these forums and seen lots of people with the same issue so I thought I would share my fix.

Hahaha yah, from -40 to +40. It was 43 today with the humadex...... I'll be up in B.C next week for a of week riding.

You'll love it. If you don't have a route planned, I have some suggestions.

I will suggest that you cover your out-of-province plate when you're parked up.... there have been more than a few non-BC vehicles getting vandalized by vigilante masked-avengers who think our borders should be sealed tight due to the WuFlu. :redface:

BC's unelected Premier basically excusing the practice:

You'll love it. If you don't have a route planned, I have some suggestions.

I will suggest that you cover your out-of-province plate when you're parked up.... there have been more than a few non-BC vehicles getting vandalized by vigilante masked-avengers who think our borders should be sealed tight due to the WuFlu. :redface:

BC's unelected Premier basically excusing the practice:

Oh wow you guys a little crazy farther west, I havent stopped a single day of work and everything is pretty normal here. I've been through revelstoke, kelowna and jasper years ago when I use to ride, just got back into riding this year (took a break due to law issues in my younger years riding hahahaha).

Oh wow you guys a little crazy farther west, I havent stopped a single day of work and everything is pretty normal here. I've been through revelstoke, kelowna and jasper years ago when I use to ride, just got back into riding this year (took a break due to law issues in my younger years riding hahahaha).

Not crazy, just self-important and elitist. Don't lump me in with these Granolas, I'm originally from New Brunswick. ;)

Sent you a route via PM.

Hahaha yah, from -40 to +40. It was 43 today with the humadex...... I'll be up in B.C next week for a of week riding.
Staying/riding in the interior? There are a few of us on the island. Shout out if you get over and feel like it.
Rubb.

Back