turbo riding how to on the street and

MidnightBusainSD

Busa Rancher
Donating Member
Registered
Just curious on a few pointers of riding my turbo bike on the street and in twistes what is the best way to approach them can it be ridden through them like a normal bike do i ride through on boost all the time or what RPM range?

Just looking for some advice i'll be getting my turbo ride next week and i don't wana take it through some place and end up spinning around on it

thanks agian

just basically want an overal how to ride it since it's gona be way diffrent then my na bike

use it the boost to pull yo out of the turns hard. You can go in plenty hot wth out the boost evening being on. Practice to your ability little boost at a time, until you get it the way you lik it..

I would recommend that you refrain from any seriously aggressive riding until you have had the chance to reaquaint yourself with your new and improved Busa...Depending on the point at which you boost builds determines how the bike is going to react...I know my boost builds at 5k and I know its time to get a real grip...I don't ride the twisties but I would imagine that if you go in while on boost if you maintain the throttle position and/or roll on slightly more that being on boost will now be that big of a deal but if you hit it WTFO then you'll be in the ditch...Don't hit it in 1st or 2nd until you've felt it...Do a couple of roll ons from 3rd and feel it there...

I'd say don't go boosting in the corners until you know what you're up against or you'll end up low siding.

Traction can be quite compromised when leaned over, and this goes for any bike. The trick with a turbo is to realise how much throttle gets you what power (as with any bike) and until you're familiar with the characteristics of it, its best to be cautious.

Its not very hard. The power that is applied to the ground is still controlled by your right wrist. Don't grab a hand-full of throttle while dragging a knee and you'll be fine. "neutral" throttle or "SLIGHTLY accelerating" is what you really want when leaned way over anyway.

Well i do plan to full well learn the power of the bike before i hit serious twisties like in the black hills or a road course i have a few smaller curves around here that are rated 45 to 55 mph for most traffic to get me some practice in i just wanted to know how i should procide in learning how to ride them weather comeing in at 6k was alright or if i should be lower i know when i ride the twisties with my Na bike i'm bouncing from the 4800 to 9000 rpm ranges depending on where im at and doing

thanks for the advice guys i didn't wana go out and pile her up on my first curve
blush.gif

the RPM really doesn't matter, its the amount of throttle you give it.

I personally like to keep it at full-boost-potential, which means 5K+ RPM's for my bike, while playing seriously in twisties. Although I rarely get over 8K RPM's. This is my bike though, depending on your turbo kit, boost you run, etc, this may not be comparable. But its only POTENTIAL.....its not realised until you twist the throttle
smile.gif

I think my favorite is riding with others at higher elevation through the twisties....everyone else is getting doggy and losing power....I just keep the boost on and don't lose a thing. Lot of fun!

I got a track day on my bike coming up in June....I can't wait....I'll be riding with a bunch of NA guys. I'm greatly anticipating destroying everything in my path on the straights...and holding my own in the corners
evil.gif

<!--EDIT|Uncle Bob
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114748048 -->

I got a track day on my bike coming up in June....I can't wait....I'll be riding with a bunch of NA guys.  I'm greatly anticipating destroying everything in my path on the straights...and holding my own in the corners  
evil.gif
I hope you have lots of fun but don't be surprised if that one guy on a 600 that goes under you carrying much more speed at the entry and cannot be caught , or by the time he is caught it's your brake marker time while he is still on the gas .

The end of a long straight or multiple straights lap after lap with 180-200hp and a 475-520 lb bike will fatigue both bodily and mentally early on without Brembo's or the likes. Lap after lap it becomes worse .

In the old days with the Z1R-TC or Turbo ZX750 a guy could have a hell of a good time burning the tire out of a corner and most often really roll them up good . I'd be afraid that if you roll the tire up on a turbo Busa then let off it would stand up with the rubber offered these days . I don't want a bike to stand up while leaned unless I'm on the gas .

A turbo Busa will be a handfull so be carefull but have fun .

I got a track day on my bike coming up in June....I can't wait....I'll be riding with a bunch of NA guys. I'm greatly anticipating destroying everything in my path on the straights...and holding my own in the corners
evil.gif
I hope you have lots of fun but don't be surprised if that one guy on a 600 that goes under you carrying much more speed at the entry and cannot be caught , or by the time he is caught it's your brake marker time while he is still on the gas .

The end of a long straight or multiple straights lap after lap with 180-200hp and a 475-520 lb bike will fatigue both bodily and mentally early on without Brembo's or the likes. Lap after lap it becomes worse .

In the old days with the Z1R-TC or Turbo ZX750 a guy could have a hell of a good time burning the tire out of a corner and most often really roll them up good . I'd be afraid that if you roll the tire up on a turbo Busa then let off it would stand up with the rubber offered these days . I don't want a bike to stand up while leaned unless I'm on the gas .

A turbo Busa will be a handfull so be carefull but have fun .
I'm not a racer wannabe, I have no misconceptions of my abilities. There will be faster guys at the track day, and my ego can handle that.....but there won't be many (did I say I don't have an ego?
tounge.gif
)

But they will all be the same bikes for the most part...ZRX's. But even so, the ZRX has some pretty amazing brakes. 12 pistons up front with SS brake lines makes for some serious stopping power. I'm not too worried about a 600 threatening me. Sure it'll beat me in the twisties, but I'll counter it every corner exit. and lets not forget the straights
smile.gif

But I'll tell everyone how far off my misconceptions were off after the track day!

keep it in a gear up and you wont be in the boost typically. I rode the Tail of the Dragon in 2nd gear no problem
smile.gif
never hit boost but kept the RPMS in the low to mid range.

Boost comes on at RPMs and also loading. so if your stopped and hammer the throttle you will be in the boost in no time. if you roll easy to the same rpms you may or may not be in boost.

But I'll tell everyone how far off my misconceptions were off after the track day!
BTW, I did the track day, and I must say I was quite humbled. I was having some runability problems which I later figured out was a bad ignition coil, and was having a misfire at 3/4 throttle, but even so I was too scared to really give it throttle coming out of corners and low siding, so my corner exit acceleration was much less than everyone elses because I waited til mostly upright before hammering it. For the most part I would catch them on the short straights between corners (track was very short and very tight with no straights worth mentioning), but with being down on power (but still faster than just about every other bike on the track) it wasn't enough to get ahead of too many people.

By the end of the track day, I was getting more comfortable with the track, and would never get passed, but I wasn't passing a whole lot of other people.

There was a couple professional racers there though that went around me like I was standing still. No matter how fast the bike, when they go by you in a corner going 30mph faster than you, there's not much you can do about it, especially on a track with no real straights.

I also had a good reason not to get too serious though, I was 2400 miles from home and that was my only means of getting back.

But it was a LOT of fun, and I'll definitely do it again.....and this time I won't have any bike problems and maybe I'll be on a track with a straight section worth tucking in for.

Great...another expensive addiction....

Back