TURBO BUSA or MOTOR BUSA?

Scottrod

Registered
Hey Guys and Gals,

I've got a 2008 Busa...a few mods here and there, clutch mod, lowered, full exhaust, HIDS, braided brake lines, and the ECU editor cable.

As it is with all of you i'm sure, this bike was always my dream. I never thought I'd get something this quick. But now, I'm a very experienced rider and I crave more power!

I've been debaiting between a carpenter racing package Carpenter Race Engines or a turbo kit. I've been leaning toward the turbo kit, because I want to make SICK power. I would like to make the bike a low 8 or high 7 second bike eventually...but I would LOVE it if I could tune the boost down and ride home after the track!

I also considered just getting the "economy" package from carpenter which is JUST the C&C head and then doing the turbo package later (i.e. lower the compression, new pistons, etc later). On that note...does anyone know where I can get a TOP NOTCH c&c head for less than $2,200 installed?

Better yet, does anyone know where I can get a couple quotes on getting a SERIOUS turbo package installed?

INPUT INPUT INPUT! Thanks!

-Scott

P.S. I'm also considering taking the bike to a mile-long track after I get some more work done.

Now is the time to hone in on your target/goal for the bike. So you want a 7 sec bike that can also perform well at top speed events and be street ridden.... You're gonna need a good sized budget for all of that. Whichever route you choose you should stick with that direction so you're not an about face.

I've been going all motor for years. If I were to think about turbo I would have to start over.

I am leaning towards the same mindset you are, Scott, started researching engine upgrades but I ride the bike everyday so anything over 230 rwhp would make it too unfriendly to go low speeds and traffic.

Nice to see they have those economy packages and they only concern a head porting - I am in a different country and by no means would be able to get a header from Carpenter, but may very well port my head locally - good to know it will make so much more power if done right and with the right valve springs.

It all depends on your budget. If you've got $30k+ to build the bike right TURBO all the way. If you don't live at the races, a GOOD engine setup like Carpenters will be a fun streetbike. :thumbsup:

Carpenter uses big bore, high compression, huge cams (440/380 typically), and heavy duty valve springs to get the most out of his CNC head. The result is usually a bike that idles high (1500 rpm), runs hot, and needs two batteries to start. He does make the hp (STD), and you have the added pleasure of knowing that even while your monster is idling, the cams are beating the valves to death. Track bike, or occasional street bike.

If you really want something you can ride around normally, something that has good manners, starts with one battery and doesn't overheat, go turbo. You will also be making more horsepower even on a Stage One, and more torque than a normally aspirated build.

I have a 600 HP streetbike that I ride to church every Sunday. And yes, its a TURBO !!:beerchug:

Didn't the priest say it is a sin to have a bike like that?

Is there a solution to own a 200 hp + bike and not power wheelie at every WOT in 1st and 2nd besides a longer wheelbase?

I agree with Powerhouse, with the following observations:

A 240 HP all motor ride is moderately expensive to build (~$4k) and very high maintanence. Plan to tear it down once a year at least due to extreme valve train and high heat. It will get you into mid to low 8s but not 7s.

A 375 - 420 HP Tubo ride is more expensive to build if done correctly with boost controller, etc. At that power level you can still run virtually stock heads and cams. In general, you can ride them all day and are relatively low maintanence. It will get you into low 8s or high 7s if set up correctly. Add an intercooler and a bunch of other do-dads and the skys the limit.

A 260 - 300 HP Nitrous ride can be done for the same price or cheaper than the 240 HP all motor setup. The motor will need some head work, and may need springs, rods, pistons, etc, but can also run reliable low 8s or high 7s. On the street, the motor performs as stock.

All motor is 8 lbs lighter than nitrous which is about 20 lbs lighter than turbo all things being equal. These are just generalizations but in general, all motor is a tough way to go fast on a "street" bike.

I went back and furth for months..then said BOOST! To compair them to equal out put......the BigBore will take more $$$$ and not be as streetable.

I wouldn't do a crazy engine setup if you are primarily riding on the street. You can have a fun livable street setup that will last. If you want to blow the money, a TURBO will make the power it just depends on your plans?

I am leaning towards the same mindset you are, Scott, started researching engine upgrades but I ride the bike everyday so anything over 230 rwhp would make it too unfriendly to go low speeds and traffic.

Nice to see they have those economy packages and they only concern a head porting - I am in a different country and by no means would be able to get a header from Carpenter, but may very well port my head locally - good to know it will make so much more power if done right and with the right valve springs.

A turbo over at 600Hp will drive just like a stock bike.....there isn't anything unfriendly about how a turbo drives on the street in everday riding. A big bore bore kit on the other hand can run great or terrible depending on cam size and compression. To the original poster....you sound like you need a turbo if you get used to power and always want more

Back