Tuning, exhaust questions....

ajblbv

Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys. So my bike runs super rich, which has been the least of my worries for awhile. However, I want to start making the plan to getting it dynotuned. If I understand this right the machine plugs right into the computer and retunes it?

As of right now I have this exhaust, can anyone identify it exactly? I can't find it, I have looked on ebay and googled, but cannot find this exact one. Some kind of slip on?

Also, right now when I backfire I actually have small bursts of flame sometimes, which is a cool effect, but I assume will go away when doing the pair valve block off mod (or marble mod if I'm lazy). Does the backfiring effect tuning? Should I fix it before getting tuned or does it not matter?

Last question, air filter. BMC the best? The one in there needs replaced, so might as well do it with best.

When tuning can it be set to run optimally on 89 octane? Or really no point?

Finally, will running rich mess up spark plugs after about 1,000 miles? Should I just pull one to check? Are any of the aftermarket plugs really worth it with a stock engine?

I know with a power commander I could do all this myself, but I really do not have a draw to constantly changing maps or modding beyond what the bike is now. Thanks guys. :beerchug:

exhaust.jpg

exhaust2.jpg

You probably need a good tune-up instead. Slipons should not have a big effect on your bike. Can't identify. Factory filter is the best. :thumbsup:

Those are bolt ons from "Two Brothers Racing" bolt ons do not require tuning.

I wonder why there is an Orient Express sticker on the side? Previous owner was a poseur or it used to have a turbo in previous life? Any history on it?

Those are bolt ons from "Two Brothers Racing" bolt ons do not require tuning.

Yep....those are def their older slip-ons.
:11doh: I can't believe the length of those cans! Easily as long as the stock cannons on the GenII's

The history I was told about the bike just isn't true at all. There have been a lot of inconsistencies that I have run into. But not much I can do about it now, basically I didn't do nearly enough research before the purchase. But she's my baby now.

I knew they were bolt ons, just couldn't find the exact model. I did the spark plugs when I first got it. But you can smell that I am running rich, and again the little flame throwing thing. I honestly do not know if there was a turbo or if engine internals were messed with, the person I bought from has turned out to be sketchy at best. But regardless I am getting 25mpg, even using higher gears and on highway trips. So I figure having it dynotuned would at least fix me up. Not the best way to go?

The history I was told about the bike just isn't true at all. There have been a lot of inconsistencies that I have run into. But not much I can do about it now, basically I didn't do nearly enough research before the purchase. But she's my baby now.

I knew they were bolt ons, just couldn't find the exact model. I did the spark plugs when I first got it. But you can smell that I am running rich, and again the little flame throwing thing. I honestly do not know if there was a turbo or if engine internals were messed with, the person I bought from has turned out to be sketchy at best. But regardless I am getting 25mpg, even using higher gears and on highway trips. So I figure having it dynotuned would at least fix me up. Not the best way to go?
Bring it on down to HPC. I will certainly get you going in the right direction with what you have or point you to what I know works.

sorry to thred jack ajblbv did you ever manage to sort out that flat spot you spoke of sometime ago, if so what was it ?

sorry to thred jack ajblbv did you ever manage to sort out that flat spot you spoke of sometime ago, if so what was it ?

By flat spot I think you mean the surging issue I had? Well my fix for it initially was removing the inpump filter, which had debris floating in it which I assume obstructed fuel flow, and putting in an inline fuel filter. Also replaced injectors at same time due to the issues on 99s. Along with this I replaced both fuel lines going into and out of tank to pump. Well symptom manifested again a little later, and after a lot of oddball troubleshooting found out I cut one of the fuel lines an inch too long, it was kinking only sometimes, screwing up pressure at idle. The hoses I originally replaced were not stock, so I reproduce them, not the stock specs. My mistake.

So basically, I think the surging issue was the debris in the fuel filter that just got lodged at positions at certain times thereby cutting off fuel flow. But I have found and fixed so many other odd things in the bike that I can't be sure. HTH :beerchug:

tuning with slip ons is a waste of cash

yes do the pair mod.

did you get the charging issue fixed yet?

Tentatively, I'll declare victory in a week. New rectifier seems to be it, nothing melted yet....and battery is charging. Heh

Back