TRYING TO SET THE NIGHT ON FIRE

OB_Dirty Pete

Registered
Anyone got any good advice on adding serious wattage?

I ride my Busa a lot at night at high speeds on country roads, and would like the option to just FLAME the countryside.

The Busa hi-beam is surely the best stock illumination system I've ever seen, bike or cage, but being greedy and not having to contend with too much on-coming traffic, I'd like to ratchet up the visibility to Yankee Stadium night game proportions.

I know many Members are also Harley owners. Maybe you've got some specific ideas in the order of 1,000,000 or more candlepower per lamp. It has to be a small package. Brand names and models would be helpful.

And, of course, I need a clever suggestion on where/how to mount such night cleavers.

Pete, don't know if this helps, but years ago I ran across an old geezer who had attached a light to his forks, down low. He said it really caught the eye of on coming traffic (pre strobe light days). The light would move with the wheel in a real annoying way. Also, as you turn, so did the light. This guy must have had a million miles of experience. He was no braggart.

This would not affect your fairing, but talk about messing up your aerodynamics! Maybe a couple (one on each side) of those ultra ultra superde duperde high beam lights down there? Maybe they could even pre-heat your front tires?

Maui, the idea is to flood the road ahead of you, so you mount these lights on the front fork, below the fairing, you don't want to blind oncoming traffic.

Unless you plan on doing the Baja or Paris/Dakar ralley and need serious lights all over the fairing then you got the wrong bike.

[This message has been edited by Waltman (edited 11 October 1999).]

You guys are in violent agreement.

Thanks for the ideas. I swear I would NEVER have thought of fork mounting. But what a great slow-speed turning advantage. And of course it's going to "flutter" like strobes to far-away on-coming enemies, sorry vehicles.

The Busa that ran all night at the 24-hour endurance race had a pair of small diameter lights in the fairing in place of the turn signal lights. Seemed to work well. Maybe there would be a way to put some turn signals on the front sides of the mirrors.

I've used the Moto Lights on touring bikes before the Lights are fine, however they are designed to mount on the fork legs... with the 'Busa's inverted forks and a front fender that comes down almost to the axle mounting the Moto lights may be a problem... has anyone tried this successfully?

Get one of those handheld 1,200,000 watt spotlights us boaters use. Call West Marine 1-800-boating for a free catalog.
They're called Nightblaster's. They're powered by 12 volt, cost $49.99 and the advertising crapola says they are 15 times as bright as a cage headlight. They are definitely the longest range light I have ever used.

All you have to do is figure out how to mount it.

I've got a question for my own Busa(s) - what about a simple replacement for the stock bulb? I remember one Busa owner found some replacement bulbs but I haven't seen the results/evaluation of the change. Here is the info posted a while back (either on H.org or Onelist) :

----------------begin------------------------
"Lights I ordered were:

H7 Artic Blue Bulb by NOKYA ($20)
9005 (H3) Blue Bulb by NOKYA ($20)
RayBright High Intensity 1157 (tail lights)($10ea.)

There are hyperwhite lights too but that is the only colors they have right now. The (H3 & H7) use stock power but put out 110w. Picture daylight with a tinge of blue and that is what it is like at night with HI/LOW on!!"
---------------end--------------------------

I'm interested in some hyperwhite bulbs in higher than stock wattage for the Busa. My Hella European setup has worked very well on one of my cars. Has anyone located a source for the white, high wattage replacement bulbs for both high and low Busa headlights?
Model numbers, source, price and impressions would be appreciated. The blue bulbs are illegal for any street vehicle in my state (and other states) and the wallet vampires don't need an extra excuse to harrass me plus I'm just not that impressed with the blue bulbs - I've played around with a set on one of my cars before. They appeared washed-out, pale blue and there was a loss of colors/visibility when using on the road.

my busa is lowered 3" in the back and about 2-1/2 in the front (maybe 3) and i get flipped the "bird" by people all the time for lighting up thier mirror. my headlight also "strobes" due to my lack of suspension travel , when i have it strapped down which is most of the time.im just suprised to hear that anyone needs more candlepower.

What an excellent motherload of suggestions to look into! Thanks everyone...

KawAbuser the Espace/ROCA treatment is stunning. The whole bike is gracefully executed. Thanks for the pics.

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 12 October 1999).]

SAENG makes some add on driving lights.

BMW way back in 82 made an option on the R100RT a set of lights that could be flipped out from behind the air vents in the fairing.
(there was a lever inside the cowling on each side)

The Busa has the signal lights in about the same location as the RT had its vents.

Moveiong the turn signals into the mirrors would enable this (XX style).

Dirty Pete it is food for thought, what you need is someones crashed nose piece.

Espace/ROCA has a new fairing for the Busa, actually it is a complete bodywork set. I will send you pictures Dirty Pete, watch your email.

I CHECKED OUT MOTOLIGHT, THANKS TO THE SUGGESTIONS OF WALTMAN AND KONRAD, and this is the response I got back. Govern yourselves accordingly.

MY INQUIRY:

Chris, a number of people on the Hayabusa site (hayabusa.org) have recommended your product to me.

None have installed on a Hayabusa yet, but they know about you from their experience on other bikes.

I am after illumination for my Hayabusa, not conspicuity.

Can you tell me the candlepower of one of your units? Single unit candlepower...not combined.

Also do you have any experience with Hayabusa installations...does my bike present any special problems for your product?

Thank you,

Peter
Toronto, Canada

MOTOLIGHT'S RESPONSE

Peter,

I have examined the side profile photo of the Hayabusa at Suzuki's site (http://www.suzukicycles.com/sr-20/sportstreet/bp_gsx1300.htm). There does not appear to be any way my system can be mounted on the Hayabusa due to the combination of its inverted fork and all enveloping body
work. My system mounts to the fork sliders but in the case of heavily faired bikes it has often been necessary to create a slot that lets the mounting post pass through to the slider. Obviously in the case of the
Hayabusa the slider is up inside the main box fairing which would virtually preclude installation. You may want to look into PIAA
automotive lights for some sort of installation beneath the headlight
somewhere inside the box fairing. I wouldn't say it is impossible (nothing is with enough time, talent and money) but I think it could be challenging at the least.

Thanks,

Chris

--
Chris Jacobs, Motolight, Inc.
http://www.motolight.com (800) 567-8346
Check out our clubhouse,
The Granary @ http://www.thegranary.com

Back