Traction control

Sounds neat - and if you don't like it, you can always turn it off!

Obviously it's different w/ cars, but a car will stop faster/shorter w/out ABS breaks by locking them up.

The ABS simply allows the driver to have some level of control (steering) under max breaking.

Diff w/ bikes since we are talking 2 wheels vs. 4, but if you are able to keep the bike in a straight line at VERY slow speed you can lock your brakes to stop faster. I've locked up the rear a few times under extreme breaking w/ no problems on dry roads.

Anybody ever lock up their front brake just before stopping?

yeah... "Comes to the street". for those of us wondering how Rossi and etc can ride like GODS on 240HP bikes, there ya go: "It's essential in MotoGP, key to victory in World Superbike, "

and yet we try to ride like our equipment is equal. think logically, stay safe!

locked mine up ONCE!
face7.gif

Obviously it's different w/ cars, but a car will stop faster/shorter w/out ABS breaks by locking them up.

The ABS simply allows the driver to have some level of control (steering) under max breaking.

Diff w/ bikes since we are talking 2 wheels vs. 4, but if you are able to keep the bike in a straight line at VERY slow speed you can lock your brakes to stop faster. I've locked up the rear a few times under extreme breaking w/ no problems on dry roads.

Umm.. I'm having a hard time with this one. Basic physics state that rolling friction is greater that sliding friction. Lock up a tire, it will travel farther than a rolling tire with maximum braking applied. Hence, ABS keeps the tires from sliding which also allows for greater control.

At least that is way I see it..
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|HillsRider
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152900649 -->

I worked as a tech for BMW for a few years, If that ASC/ABS system works as well on the bikes as it does on the cars, it will be pretty nice. It is a very smooth opperation on the cars, much more so than the systems in the American cars. (and I drive American, so i'm not talkin shid)

Umm.. I'm having a hard time with this one. Basic physics state that rolling friction is greater that sliding friction. Lock up a tire, it will travel farther than a rolling tire with maximum braking applied. Hence, ABS keeps the tires from sliding which also allows for greater control.

At least that is way I see it..
biggrin.gif
I agree. I lock of the rear when I wanna have some fun, knowing I won't slow down as fast. I don't lock up the front. That would be bad. Yeah.

Back