Top speed on 16-42 gears?

riironman

Donating Member
Registered
I have stock gearing now but i heard the 16-42 combo is a blast. I still like to top out my bike once in a while though. so if i still have the speed restricter will the 16-42 combo matter?

bike will still top out when it hits the rev limiter in 6th and you will be going slower than with stock gearing . You will just get there faster.

+1 if your limiter is in place, bike will not hit 186 anymore cuz it will rev to like 10,500 n the bike will think its 11000, and shut ya down...but you'll get there hella fast! I have the smart TRE n in 6th I hit like 190-ish flat-out with 16-42, but MAN does it ever get there in a hurry!
wow.gif

according to the gear calculator i saw its only good for 181... soo... i dunno how u guys are getting so fast with stock trannys....???

more than likely you'll need something to check speed, because once you change gears the speedo is going to be off.it's about like changing tire size on your car or truck.

Changing gearing like that you will have a lower top speed . Speedo error is already about 7%.

i got the 16/42. then did a speedo healer and put it on the dyno. hit the rev limiter at 170. there is still some error on the high end so it is prob around 160 actual i would think

I did a 16t front only and put the speedohealer on it. What i found was from 70-90 it was pretty much dead on but when i checked it with my gps. Then when i went faster it was getting off, I checked it at 150 on the speedo and the gps said 140. So 10 mile per hour off even with the speedohealer.

Yep even with a speedohealer the speedo will read off as speeds increase, but it'll still read very close at the lower speeds you use most :beerchug: And the 16/42 gearing is good for 180 at the unrestricted redline in 6th, which shows as 11400 I believe :beerchug: (tach reads high as well :whistle: ) With the restriction in place the bike stops pulling at 10500 on the tach, which is low 170's.

Back