Tobin Kanjis Fading

firebug

Registered
One of my red kanjis on my tobin front seat is faded. Is there a way to re-dye it or I have thought about making all of the kanjis black?

What would you suggest for making them black? Tobin didn't think the type of thread he used could be dyed so I thought about trying fabric paint.

Let me know what you have done or would do.

Thanks

What kind of cleaner/protectant do you use on your seats?

I just bought these from a board member so I don't know what he used. The left side kanji is faded out, he said it was where the sun shined on it when parked in his car port.

red pigments do not age well in the sun.. you might be able to dab some rit dye on it? or go to black?

Why not call Tobin and ask? I'm sure he'll give you some advice. Good luck
thumb_up.gif

Why not call Tobin and ask?  I'm sure he'll give you some advice.  Good luck  
thumb_up.gif
I contacted him and he didn't think much would work due to the type of thread he uses. He said the black sharpie may work.

I started last night and it looks ok from a distance. I'll see how it holds up and may try the paint marker later.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I would think that the RIT dye used with a small paint brush would work. You could call Tobin to see if he could send you a small thread sample for testing. I have a sample of the blue thread you are welcome to if you want it for testing.

The leather dye sounds like a good idea. I'll experiment over the next few weeks and let everyone know what worked the best.

Back