Tires

OB_soja1

Registered
At speeds of about 40mph, and coming to quick stop, those Bridgestones are weak. They skid with the slightest pop on the rear brake. I was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem with quick stops. I've always used Dunlap and they always stop on a dime. Could it be that I might have too much air in my tire?

Yes, I have experienced some rear skids also, but believe mine was due more to less front brake with rear.

I thought I saw where someone said they never use the rear brake at all. That technique for a while should surely increase my emergency braking performance.

I also noticed some highspeed wobble in slight curves the other night. Don't know what that was about.

I haven't had any skids, but I try not to use the rear for more than keeping the front end from loading too much. I think Bridgestone has made a lot of progress compared to my last set that I had on my ZX-11. The front never felt planted on that bike until I got some Dunlops. These still don't have enough grip in front, but I feel confident in the twisties with these. This bike is on the heavy side, but stoppies should be possible.

Thanks for the replies. I had a TL1000R and a Katana 600, both equipped with Dunlop. The only problem I had with Dunlop was wear in the center. No burnouts or skidding, just normal riding. I will adjust my breaking more to the front and see what happens.

soja1

Believe it or Not, for anyone who has taken a riders course will know, only using the front brake does NOT increase emergency braking. For optimal stoping 70% front 30% rear will stop you in the shortest distance, try it it works.

And I have noticed the slight skipping and skidding of the front tire under heavy front braking.

[This message has been edited by speed (edited 28 July 1999).]

Back