This is so true...

Devious

Onward through the Fog
Donating Member
Registered
TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.
Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.
We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because...
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!!
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all !!! No 199 channels on cable and big-screen TVs, no video tape movies or DVDs, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms....WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!
Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!
This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned
HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!
And YOU are
one of them!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids -- before the lawyers and government regulated our lives for our own good -- while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

<!--EDIT|Goldwanger
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137513202 -->

I was born in the '70s.

I feel excluded
sad.gif

I'm calling my lawyer!!
poke.gif

I like this post! Especially the little league tryout part. My Brother-N-Law who lives in a suburb of Atlanta thinks his two kids in sports there are soooo great! Except that if there were tryouts, maybe only one of his kids might make the team. And every team gets trophies for participation! What's up with that? When I was a kid only the first, second, and third place teams got trophies.

60's child here.. '64 model to be exact~ I can agree with  everything wrote up there~ But then I have to think.... hmmmm... It was the people from those generations that made all the Nintendo's, Play Stations, and XBoxes~ We brought out the Home Computers, Cell Phones, and IPODs~ We became over protective of our children and kept them inside, at arms length.. and for good reason too~ I damn sure don't remember hearing about Uncle Joe sodomizing Lil' Billy when he rode his bike to the local Park back in the day either~ So it can also be said, the same generations mentioned above are the ones that have grown and helped to make it what it is today...
sad.gif

i was born in 75 and that sounded like my life to a "t".. hell i had a tv in my room but it was 3 big channels of black and white snow and about 10inches... football games in the field across the way and basketball later... trying to fix a hotwheel car cause we cared about our stuff.. talking back to teacher got you a ticket to the projecter room and a 18in pattle on your azz... aahhhhhhh da good days

now if i tell my kid he needs to go read, he go's and jump on the comp( new age dummy box) and tells me im reading...wtf?? his school doesnt even have books for all his classes, some are on cd's... hes 9 for heavens sake? no wonder every country thinks we are the dumbest people alive..

<!--EDIT|uncl3_fock3r
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137516899 -->

True, so very true! and sad when you think about it?

I was born in 1959...wow seems along time ago in some ways....I miss the good ole days....when Mayberry was the show after dinner we all sat down and watched. Or going down to the creek and playing in the water on a nice hot day, then setting on some rocks and drink a RC cola and eat a moon pie.....times sure have changed, Im glad my heart still yearns for those days...
wink.gif

I was born in 1959...wow seems along time ago in some ways....I miss the good ole days....when Mayberry was the show after dinner we all sat down and watched. Or going down to the creek and playing in the water on a nice hot day, then setting on some rocks and drink a RC cola and eat a moon pie.....times sure have changed, Im glad my heart still yearns for those days...    
wink.gif
Damn, I'm a 58 model. Only one year difference in the body styles with us. Yea, it was a different world. And I often miss it. By the way, have you found out anything about David Kincaid in Knoxville...

David

good read...definatly makes you ponder....i'm a 73 year model and only played inside on the really cold and wet days...otherwise i was outside on my bike trying to do tricks and popping my inner tubes...came home one day with a oval front tire and a big red mark across my chest...my dad just shook his head and took me to K-mart to buy another rim & tire...

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
1965 here, this one reminds me of one we used to do. I had 4 brothers and we lived on a farm in the hills. At the top of the hill, two brothers would hold a tractor tire while we took turns getting inside. We would then push the tire down the hill toward the woods. Looking back I think this was not a good idea because it was about 600 feet down the hill through the trees, and just before the trees was where the sewage from our house dumped out onto the hillside (no septic system). I do remember landing there in addition to the rose bushes.

Good times.

Kevin

1960 here. It's all true and more. I've still got pretty good kids though. Only one nearly as active as we were.

Don't forget it took more than 2 minutes to boil a cup of water.

'67 model here.

We used to ride our bikes 12 miles to the KOA to go swimming in the summer. Build forts with nails we pulled out of Jo Bobs barn, and boards we found in the woods. Going off the rope swing, dropping 30+ feet into the river. Going 4 wheeling (ATV'ing) on private property with or without permission and only being shot at once a year. We also didn't tear up their fields. Being locked out of the house if the weather was nice. Sled riding, at night, on the street with the whole neighborhood, kids and parents alike. Fishing in the neighborhood pond, without asking permission or having a singed, notorized note from the owners and your parents. Like was said before, you leave right after breakfast and come home for dinner. Then it's back out untill the street lights come on. Baseball or wiffelball all summer, football all fall, ice skating on the pond in the winter, and bike riding all spring.

When the neighbor caught you throwing rocks at (take your pick) windows, cats, frogs what ever, you were busted. If they didn't read you the riot act, your parents did.

Rambling now... Must stop...

Later,

Steve

Back