Thinking of new wheels

nxvette01

Registered
I'd like to get a set of gsxr 1000 wheels. Does anyone know what the weight difference is between them and a busa wheel. Also is the new 1000 wheels any lighter than lets say a 01 model? Thanks for the help.

I was thinking about doing the same thing. I found info show the late 1K wheels at 10.25 and 16.75. The rear Busa wheels shows 19.5. So 2.75 rear"¦ I'm guessing the front will save you 1.5, maybe 2 lbs max.

You'll need custom spacers for the 1K wheels as well as the 1K rotors, cush drive, sprocket, and cut .250 off the busa brake hanger. I've also read both yes and no that a custom front axle is required (May depend on the year) Total loss of about 4-5lbs.

Most say use the 05+ 1K wheels. They are a bit lighter. Numbers above are based on 05+ wheels.

I decided the weight loss wasn't significant enough unless you had a heck of a deal going on the 1k wheels.

A set of Marvic Piumas will save you about 8 lbs on the rear for a total of about 13lbs.
BSTs will save another 3lbs.

If you decide to go the 1K rout, yell and I'll point you toward a couple of guys making conversion kits for 1k wheels. They should be able to tell you the fitment details.

Just buy the Front forks, wheels, and Brakes from a 1K and no modification will be required. With the rear same thing buy the 1k swing arm and brake sset up you might need to have spacer built to bolt up the swing arm but then you have the 1k suspension set up.

Hey thanks Professor I'll look you up if I decide to go that route.
beerchug.gif

Check tire weights too, you can dam near shed 4 pounds by going to Pirelli Corsas

Back