Test drive waiver?

ga1990

Registered
So I'm selling my bike...I have several people interested in it now, and I know they're going to want to test drive it...which I would too. I've heard some horror stories about people dropping bikes and walking away. My question is, does anyone here have a good waiver that they'd like to share with me that I should have a potential buyer sign? I just want to make sure I cover my ass.

Have the potential seller give you the cash for the bike and verify that it is not counterfeit. Inform them that they are buying the bike if anything happens to it and it is not brought back in the condition they originally road off in. Or you could have a friend ride with them just incase want to get a little crazy.

On a Busa? Not a chance. Look at it, hear it run, watch me ride it.

AFTER you have paid for it...ride it around the block.

If I have missrepresented it in any way...you get your cheese back.

I agree with mjn. If you were talking about selling a Honda Rebel, that's one thing, but test driving a Busa? Assuming you don't know the buyer, how do you determine what their riding experience is? And as crazy as this sounds, don't put it past some people to sue you if they crash either!

When they see it and hear it run, they'll either want it or not. If they give you the line "I'm not sure a Busa is right for me or not", tell them to go test drive someone elses Busa to find out - then come see you if they're still interested. There's too many people that have high interest in this machine to be worried about risking a test drive. ;)

man...i'm glad you guys don't live around me
tounge.gif
I've never had a problem with anyone letting me ride their bike for sale.  The bike I'm selling is an R6...i'll be in the market for a busa soon though...in fact I went and looked at one for sale last week, the guy let me test ride it no questions asked..i want to know how a bike feels before I commit to buying it.  And by the way...I did use the "I'm not sure if a busa is right for me or not" line, but only because it was true.  After the test ride there were things I liked and didn't like about it...but all in all...so much more comfortable than my bike, yet still handled decent considering it's size...I just can't stand those gauges...the speedometer looks about the same as the one on the 72' honda CL175 i use to have, just alot more numbers so it's even harder to read....suzuki needs to take some tips from Yamaha in that department
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|ga1990
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126414109 -->

No flame intented but ... Why ask the question if you wont listen to the good advice that is given?

<!--EDIT|Glamisman
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126420736 -->

A bike is a bike is a bike.

Looks good, sounds good, feels good, is good. No tire kickers here please. If there is a problem, they just bought it.

Not trying to be hard, but you are selling, and it's a buyer beware market.

Be honest, point out, and list on the bill of sale all imperfections, visual or otherwise (structural, mechanical, visual, electrical, etc..). It was your bike, you know what is wrong with it. As long as you are being honest everybody is protected and you have nothing to worry about later. Take lots of pics during the sale and document every step.

I have been ripped off BAD, I know what I'm talking about! If the guy isn't sure he wants a XXXX then let him find out on somebody elses bike.

As long as you are being fair you have nothing to worry about.

Do not be too desperate to sell no matter what. If desperate drop a few hundered bucks, BUt DO NOT LET SOME GUY YOU DO NOT KNOW with a fake license (or none ) DISSAPEAR WITH IT, OR DROP IT AND fuG OFF ON YOU.

If it is a good bike then that will be evident. If it is crap, then expect and accept a crappy offer. Fair is fair.

Good Luck.

So I'm selling my bike...I have several people interested in it now, and I know they're going to want to test drive it...which I would too. I've heard some horror stories about people dropping bikes and walking away. My question is, does anyone here have a good waiver that they'd like to share with me that I should have a potential buyer sign? I just want to make sure I cover my ass.
Dont give a test ride!!

...Be forthcoming and clear as to what shape your bike is in, and what the potential buyer might have to spend on once he buys the bike! Having made that clear... dont give a test ride!!

...If I was in your place, thats what I would have done!!

Glamisman...actually "the question" that i asked was if anyone had a sample waiver...not if I should allow a test ride or not...but I do appreciate everyone's opinion.

<!--EDIT|ga1990
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126444882 -->

There are shady buyers and shady sellers. I would like to see how the bike ran and if truly interested would be willing to leave a check for it with the understanding (verbal or written) that if anything was wrong mechanically the check would get voided. That's me though and would not do anything to intentionally harm the bike. Others might not be so nice, but you still have the check.

I say cash first, give bike. But if not what was advertised within 1/2 day, refund money but make a contract that it is "BEING SOLD AS IS!!!"

ga1990 - Ever wonder why most dealerships won't let people test drive their bikes? You'd be surprised how many new owners crash, just leaving the dealership!
blush.gif

In your case, allowing test drives takes on serious risks. Imagine if they crash. Even if you had their full cash amount in your hand, what would you say if the guy tells you he crashed "only" because something was wrong with your bike? And claims its your fault he crashed! At a minimum you've got an augument on your hands - if not a law suit.

My suggestion is give a full description of your bike (maintenance records, add-ons, etc). Talk it up and sell it without allowing a test drive. Dealers do it all the time. If they want it bad enough, they'll buy it. And if they don't, someone else will. Protect yourself.

Back