Taxed by the mile??

They pay people to buy small fuel efficient cars a few years ago, now they realize they are losing $$$ in fuel taxes. Can the Gov't do anything business related right?

Let them do away with the 50% or more tax per gallon of fuel and we can talk. I dont remember the exact breakdown, but most of the cost in a gallon of gas or diesel is taxes.

To be honest with something like this I can see some pros and cons.

GPS in every car that is monitored means jobs and a serious drop in car thefts as well as anyone trying to escape the police lol. All they would have to do is call the company and have them track the signal. However it would also be an invasion of privacy for other citizens who actually obey the law. As long as I dont have to pay for the said GPS I could go with this but not for the purpose of taxes.

So speaking of raising a tax on the amount of miles I drive because the gas tax isnt cutting it, this would mean to me that the gas tax should drop significantly. If they keep the gas tax and put on the VMT then this is just stupid. That is like paying for a loaf of bread and then being taxed on every sandwhich you make out of it. If I pay for gas and get taxed on it why should I be taxed on how much I drive using not one but two things I allready paid for (gas and the car).

I have seen some of the roads that they use the govt money to help repave, and it is clear and obvious that some of the particular roads do not need it at the time they are doing it. In my town the county said that they were cutting back on grading the dirt roads because of the cost and the money was more needed for repaving roads. The banter was back and forth and they came out and said well I guess your neighborhood will just have to pay for the road to be paved and then pay a tax on it. Then two weeks later they came out and retarred the whole subdivision of a ritzy sort of people and the road obviously didnt need it. I brought this up to the councel and they were back to grading our road once a month starting the next day.

Would this mean that all toll roads would go away as well as toll bridges. Why dont they just make all freeways tollways and then that would help cut on traffic as well as no VMT.

On the bad side though I can see a lot more people taking a bicycle to work if they can or if they are healthy enough. This would cut down on tourism cause who wants to take a family trip in a car if they are gonna pay out the backside for the fuel and miles they drive.

Hell if they do this then I will buy an electric car and screw the taxes all together, maybe even an elctric bike which should be perfected in ten years when they say they want to do this lol.

Exxon makes 7cents a gallon and the government make almost 50 cent per gallon in NC.

Something seems wrong with that equation.

Wow..some scary stuff here...GPS in all vehicles? Orwellian is right...

So we would have to in fact PAY to go to work, on top of the payroll and myriad of other taxes we already pay. Do you REALLY think this will stope, ease, or control the already exhorbitant taxes palced on gasoline? Just another pot the fed would raid later to fund something else they can't figure out how to pay for...

What ever stae( read it but forgot) that this monkey whos proposing this comes from I hope yall get yourselves together and get RID of this ape...

God help us..???

Of course this was a 2009 article:laugh:

None the less it worth watching the Hill to make sure they dont really launch this thing..

Update:

In March 2011, The United States Congressional Budget Office issued a report comparing the relative merits of fuel taxes, vehicle excise taxes, vehicle tire excise taxes, and a hypothetical vehicle miles traveled tax. [7] It emphasized the disproportionate road wear of cargo trucks versus the current tax rate paid, but noted that costs assessed to this sector would be passed along to the consumer. Also noteworthy was a chart indicating that the excise tax on tires could provide motivation to vehicle owners to reduce many external costs of vehicle travel and road maintenance, but it is currently set far too low to have much effect. The report noted that a GPS-based tax would have a unique trait in allowing taxes to be increased in high congestion zones where tolls are not practical, with the caveat that advances in toll collection technology would mitigate this advantage. The report also emphasized that both tire taxes and vehicle mile traveled taxes would have to be rated based on weight-per-axle to properly distribute wear-related costs of highway use.

just about ready to find a new place to live now... gettin tired of all the bs from up there in dc....

I doubt this will happen. It would take SOOOO much money to implement... Who knows the way they are spending though...

I doubt this will happen. It would take SOOOO much money to implement... Who knows the way they are spending though...

I keep telling myself the same thing. the cost to start and the ease of blocking/jamming GPS. But still they are desperate to spend money and they need it to spend it...

To be honest with something like this I can see some pros and cons.

GPS in every car that is monitored means jobs and a serious drop in car thefts as well as anyone trying to escape the police lol. All they would have to do is call the company and have them track the signal. However it would also be an invasion of privacy for other citizens who actually obey the law. As long as I dont have to pay for the said GPS I could go with this but not for the purpose of taxes.

Car thieves will learn w/in 24 hours how to disable/remove any device that threatens their thieving.

We'll be paying for the GPS. Maybe not directly, but the gov't money IS our money.

So speaking of raising a tax on the amount of miles I drive because the gas tax isnt cutting it, this would mean to me that the gas tax should drop significantly. If they keep the gas tax and put on the VMT then this is just stupid. That is like paying for a loaf of bread and then being taxed on every sandwhich you make out of it. If I pay for gas and get taxed on it why should I be taxed on how much I drive using not one but two things I allready paid for (gas and the car).

Kinda like getting taxed on our income when it's paid to us and then being taxed when we spend that money on goods and services? Nahhhh...that sort of thing would NEVER happen. :whistle:

No mention of doing away with gas tax. Even if there was, they would likely keep the fuel tax for many years as we "transition" all vehicles to the new system. No way they'll outfit hundreds of millions of vehicles in short order. Even after the transition, they'll find some reason that we NEED to continue the fuel tax. What about lawnmowers? Generators? Race vehicles? Gotta get them somehow.

I have seen some of the roads that they use the govt money to help repave, and it is clear and obvious that some of the particular roads do not need it at the time they are doing it. In my town the county said that they were cutting back on grading the dirt roads because of the cost and the money was more needed for repaving roads. The banter was back and forth and they came out and said well I guess your neighborhood will just have to pay for the road to be paved and then pay a tax on it. Then two weeks later they came out and retarred the whole subdivision of a ritzy sort of people and the road obviously didnt need it. I brought this up to the councel and they were back to grading our road once a month starting the next day.

Typical.

Would this mean that all toll roads would go away as well as toll bridges. Why dont they just make all freeways tollways and then that would help cut on traffic as well as no VMT.

Stated that tolls were being considered as well. No way they'll repeal tolls unless we force them too.

On the bad side though I can see a lot more people taking a bicycle to work if they can or if they are healthy enough. This would cut down on tourism cause who wants to take a family trip in a car if they are gonna pay out the backside for the fuel and miles they drive.

Hell if they do this then I will buy an electric car and screw the taxes all together, maybe even an elctric bike which should be perfected in ten years when they say they want to do this lol.

If enough folks adopt your plan, the gov't will simply tax the heck outta those vehical purchases. Besides, why wouldn't they impose the same system on bikes to begin with? I'm sure we'd get a reduced tax b/c we're lighter and more fuel efficient by thousands of pounds. Cars and trucks would pay .25 cents/mile...we'll get a fat discount and pay .2499999999999999999999999 cents per mile. The gov't is only lookin' out for us, after all. :rofl:

Enjoy!

From the Congressional Budget Office:
Congressional Budget Office - Alternative Approaches to Funding Highways

"Federal spending on highways is funded primarily by taxes on gasoline and diesel fuel, but those and other taxes paid by highway users do not yield enough revenue to support either current federal spending on highways or the higher levels of spending that have been proposed by some observers."

Think they'll get rid of existing taxes just b/c they implement a new one?

One more thing: The taxes they DO collect are very often NOT used appropriately anyway. Instead of using these funds to the greatest benefit, instead of spending efficiently, instead of prioritizing spending and NOT spending more than taxes already provide for, they simply want to raise taxes.

An article by Mr. Garrett, a Republican, represents New Jersey's 5th Congressional District.

Misappropriated Funds and the Bridge Collapse - HUMAN EVENTS

"And, the Chairman of the House Transportation Committee recommends as a remedy a new gas tax for a new highway trust fund for bridge repair. But, Congress has been raiding existing trust funds for years for pet projects. And, Americans are paying too much at the pump already."

As with all things government, we can either unite and force gov't to do right by us or, as we almost always do, we can individually complain and profess how we "WILL NOT TAKE IT!" as we drop trousers to ankles when Uncle Sam says so.

so the goernment feels they aren't making enough money in taxes to cover their costs. I wish I could tell my boss "hey, you don't pay me enough because of my spending habits so you need to give me more per hour".

Don't let me get on my soap box on this stuff. :banghead:

Back