Suspension

kennym4

Registered
I want to adjust my suspension, but is it pretty dumb - dumb proof. I'm still riding the stock settings, and isn't that for like a 165 lb rider ? I now weigh 212 lbs. I know I should upgrade my springs, but for now, will it work. Almost all of my 11,500 miles are from just cruising, and highway. I started getting into the twisty's last summer a little bit, and really enjoy it. What will I notice with the suspension set up right ?

Wasn't there a how to on here from Jinkster ? You can't screw anything up too bad can you ?

THANKS, for any help !!

I had Wheeler in Robbinsville set me up with my stock forks and rear shock. Paid $25 and he did a great job. Bike rides a little stiffer and gives me better feed back in the twisties. I'm 6'0'' 220#.

Since you're running stock springs I would suggest starting with the "Jinkster" settings as a starting point. Keep maticulous notes of the changes you make and their effects. Try and pick the same road to do consistant testing so you can determine the difference in feel. When your making adjustments change only one setting at a time. Change it by two or three clicks each time so you can really feel a difference. If the adjustment you made is to much in the wrong direction than just dial it back by a click or two. It's very difficult to feel a one click difference until you're more comfortable with the new adjustments.

A suspension setup for you will make you a more confident rider. You'll be able to feel the bike more and what it's doing. You'll be able to corner better as well. It all depends how you set things up though. Highway vs back road ridding is very different. I would set the suspension differently for each.

Make sure you KNOW what you want, so you'll know when you get there. Just making changes to make changes want amount to much if you don't know what you want the changes to do. Me, I change for comfort over the LONG Haul Hwy riding I do. Which means on the Solf Side for me (but you have to make the rear hard enough to take wash board roads that WILL make you Porpoise, talk about a YO YO effect :laugh: ) !

Make sure you KNOW what you want, so you'll know when you get there. Just making changes to make changes want amount to much if you don't know what you want the changes to do. Me, I change for comfort over the LONG Haul Hwy riding I do. Which means on the Solf Side for me (but you have to make the rear hard enough to take wash board roads that WILL make you Porpoise, talk about a YO YO effect :laugh: ) !

That's what I was trying to say (your first 2 sentences) I was just wondering how far off am I at 212 lbs. with stock setting ? I want it to handle better, and was thinking maybe this could help ??

well folks...been reading through here (as i do from time-2-time) justa make sure that things don't get off on too much of a tangent and maybe explaining things in a more simplified mannor if i believe it will help...and to cut out some confusion here?...i have this to say...

it's important to remember it's an end result we're looking for and to not get hung up in the numbers game too much..and that "end result" is founded on your personal riding stlye/preference...if your an older fella doing superslab ST'ing?..you may want a plusher ride with little to no feedback...but if your an up and comer testing your skills?...ya might want'er more to the tight side.

The percentage of laden sag is the number your looking for...and that number should match your preferences of either a plush or tight ride.

L8R, Bill. :cool:

That's what I was trying to say (your first 2 sentences) I was just wondering how far off am I at 212 lbs. with stock setting ? I want it to handle better, and was thinking maybe this could help ??

it will...go for it...i think you'll love the results..many others have.

Back