Starting Problem

Kennth

Registered
hillow,everyone i have a starting problem today..its happen like tat i went for touring about 250km so when i stop for a lunch break cos its is almost over heat cos of traffic tide...when is about 40min i went back to my bike to start again..opss its can be start but its will die off engine for quite a few time i try again and again but still cant...lucky its start when i try a couple of time if not i will be in damn poop?can anyone tell what is happening???isizt to hot ofr my engine or pretrol is doing tat trick or what????my model is 99year busa pls help me to slove its...i am scare tat it will happen to me again...........a thousand thankssssss

Hi Kenneth. Check for Vapor lock/air locking. Open your Tank and listen for a rush of air into the tank.

Sled

Might help to set your idle speed up a little too, once you get it started...

<!--EDIT|Postal
Reason for Edit: None given...|1079964760 -->

If it was overheating, I guess we can assume you were stuck in traffic for a long time and idling a lot? Might have drained your battery a little especially idling in traffic for a long time. A good run keeping the RPM's up or a quick charge on a proper battery charger might help you out. Another tip i've read here is to make sure you turn off your highbeam lights when idling around (or turn your lights off completely if you have the switch). Hope that's all it is
smile.gif
Good luck

Kenneth,

I have a 99 also and that year was notorious for having fuel pump problems. My bike has always had problems starting and when it was hot it took even more time for it to turn over. I replaced the battery, spark plugs and checked the starter. Everything was okay, finally after the situation got worse, I was told about the problem with the fuel pump. I replaced it recently and have no more problems with starting. It turns over quickly and with no throttle...

My problem was accentuated when I was below 1/4 tank of gas and if it was running hot. If these sound like any of your "symptoms" you may want to check out the fuel pump. They are stupid expensive at the dealer, but check ronayers.com, you may be able to get one cheaper there if that's what it is...

Good Luck!!

LoBusa

P.S. Also want to mention it was a B%$#! to replace, but if I can do it, anyone can!!!!!!

Money is on the vapor lock. If it was very hot all the heat builds up around the pump. Not only open the top of the tank, next time it happens lift the tank up. make sure you carry a 4mm & 5mm allen head with you just in case. I have more headt because of the turbo so i moved my fuel pump to the rear of the bike. You don't have to do that , but you may want ot wrap it with a heat sheild.

Back