sprocket changes

flitemedic13

Registered
im a newbie and not mechanically inclined at all, i work on people not bikes - so be kind on this one....ive read and seen that some people go to a diffrent sprocket - 1 or 2 less teeth i think to get more torque and pull ...doesnt this affect the top end speed since the sprocket itself is smaller? has anyone gone to a diffrent sprocket here...if so what did it do for ya on torque rating or pull? and did it or does it mess up your ending top speed at all?

it does reduce your top speed but what are we talking about here.... it won't give you more torque per se but it will "pull" harder because of the reduced gearing. Affecting your top speed yeah maybe 10-15 mph up top if you go 1 tooth down. If you don't frequent the 180 mph range then don't worry about it.

might want to speicify... You go down 1 in the front. that equals like going up 3 in the back. And in the back you go up in teeth.. if you go down teeth in the back u will up the top end but the pull will go down. Its pretty much just a torque multiplier like changing the rearend gear ratio on a car.

ohhhh gotcha now brixxer...im wondering then, which is the best of both worlds...prolly just leaving it alone...i do frequent the higher speeds because i have access to an airstrip...but i wouldnt mind the extra pull in the lowers...guess i should leave well enough alone and just keep adding mods that make the top and bottom better and no draw backs either way like if u changed sprockets......and as far my torque question for fstbusa - wouldnt it increase your torque and or HP if your getting more "pull" in the lower gears..kinda makes since that the reason it "pulls" harder is becasue one or both of those is increased, or it wouldnt "pull" harder and sling shot u faster in a shorter distance- right?
rock.gif

maybe im smokin crack, i dont know...
cool.gif

nope doesnt increase the torque.. i believe it moves the torque band. yeah just leave well enough alone.. let me ask u this.. if ur in 3rd and want the torque why not downshift into 2nd? (this question was asked of me when i brought up about changing sprockets)

Back