Speedo Recalibration

OB_BusaGeek

Registered
Anyone out there waiting for a yellow box or thinkin' about it, I've got something for you.

I ordered the yellow box twice, once in April and once in May. Didn't hear a peep out of Black Industries Austrailia either time. So, I found another solution. Someone posted here that there is a ReCalibrator from AutoTrans in Canada. I found a reliable source for them.

Aftermarket Technologies in NYC has them in stock for $139.95, I got mine in two days. Works like a charm (42 tooth rear sprockets brings me to 12% speedo error, my bike has racked up 200 miles that I didn't ride!!!!).

The sales rep said that if we get more than 3 in an order, a discount will be in order. One of you shop/dealer guys might be able to help here (or maybe me).

You can get AfterMarket Technologies at 1-800-645-2245 or in NY, 516-333-2270 ask for part #RECAL-UN

Yes JDavis posted this on the mods board I installed it for him fairly easy to install.
I took extra time to solder the connections.
still only took about 45 minutes

I put it on yesterday in under an hour.

I took the speedo sensor off the bike, cut about two inches from the coupler end.

I found a 5ft piece of four-conductor cable and used it for an extension to mount the box.

Soldered one wire to Black/Red (both pieces) the other end of that wire to the red on the ReCalibrator.

Soldered another wire to Black/White (both pieces) the other end of that wire to black on the ReCalibrator.

The third wire was soldered to the connector side of the Black wire only. The other end of that wire to the green wire on the ReCalibrator.

Fourth wire the the sensor side of the Black wire and to the blue wire on the ReCalibrator.

Tape everything up good to avoid shorts.

I mounted the control unit in the trunk along with my PCII.

Route the wires nice, wire tie in the right places for strain relief and the job looks professional.

Change the ReCalibrator to DC (I think) and set it to the right percentage and your off.

To test it, I hooked up a stop watch so it's triggered by the horn, got on the thruway at 60mph, clicked the stopwatch at a mile marker, stopped it at the next mile marker. It showed 59.94s -- not bad.

I contacted Roman via e-mail (Yellow Box manufacturer) with some questions about his product in late April or early May. He responded in less than 24 hours. I ordered the Yellow Box via fax and it was at my door within 6 business days. Simple as that.

I have no idea how or why anyone's had problems with ordering but my experience with Roman was very positive. The Yellow Box works as advertised and it's easy to change settings and recalibrate it for different size rear tires, etc. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat.

Jim

the problem most are talking about happened last last and early this year they sent money and no e-mails were returned. it took months to get there boxes Roman has said it was all better now.I guess it is if you received product.

I was one of those waiting forever to receive yellow box. Box is very well made, excellent instructions, all parts/wire in package. I cut/soldered wires per instructions, ran wires along inside of frame with factory harness. Found that by using a block of foam the same size as box, it fit into small area in back of trunk that gives tail light bulbs clearance. Looks like it was made to fit there and foam makes it fit tight enough it does not rattle. No loss of space. It was a long wait made longer by bad communication, but product seems great. Jack

Hey Busa Geek,

I am interested in the speedo recalibrator and have several friends that may be as well. Will it make the speedo accurate at all speeds or just a t one set speed 9does it take into account the fact that the speedo inaacuracies may be non linear)? If the product looks good, give Ivan a call at 914-329-8009, he might set something up so we can get a discount, and better he can also install them.

Johnny Rocket

Rocket,
Because of the way the 'busa measures speed, there isn't a zero shift problem as there is on analog speedometers. As for non-linearity, also an analog problem. There is a pickup on the front sprocket cover. Attached to the output shaft is a little piece of metal with four protrusions. The pickup senses the protrusions moving by, converting them to a train of eletrical pulses. The speed of the pulses are direclty proportional to the speed of the bike. Here is where the error comes in -- the dash cluster receives the pulses and uses a predefined calculation to figure out speed. This calculation assumes stock tires and stock gear ratio. If either of these change, the speedo is off.
Some non-linearity can be introduced by tire growth at near 190 speeds, and some error will occur from tire wear. But, all should be less than 2%. The unit will compensate by any whole percentage from 1% all the way up to 255%. In other words, if your speedo now says 100mph, it can change it to 1mph or to 255mph or anything in between.

Hey BusaGeek, I find it hard to believe you ordered two units from us, one in April and one in May, and didn't get a reply from us. I have answered emails religiously since 6th April after some bad press on this forum re sloppy correspondence.

Maybe just trying to sell your own product??

Our Yellow Box is only $90, compared to $135, we INCLUDE all shipping costs in that $90, and our product is smaller, lighter, more durable, and much more accurate than any other competing product. I know, because I designed it for me! I only started selling them to friends and associates when people started chasing me down. :)

We have good stocks of the 'Busa compatible (all Suzuki) Yellow Boxes and they leave here within one week from the day we get your order. Thanks to the guys who are happy with the YBs! :)

See the Yellow Box at:
http://centauri.ezy.net.au/~fastvid/

[This message has been edited by 99TLR (edited 07 June 2000).]

99TLR,
To set the record straight, I did order the yellow box twice. I ordered it because I thought it was the best product out there for an excellent price. The only problem was that I couldn't get one. The first order was on Apr 5, 2000. Heard nothing, got nothing. The second was on May 24, 2000. I never heard back, but on Thursday June 8, -----

I did recieve my yellow box!!!

Of course that was after the first post. However, I still have not received an email confirmation that my order was processed. That is what annoyed me most, not knowing whether or not it was going to arrive.
I do not have my own product to sell, I only want to reward good customer satisfaction. I will sell my yellow box to a friend and I'm quite sure he'll be happy with it, but he'll be happy because he will have a good buying experience and a good product.

P.S. I just looked at my invoice and there is a handwritten note on it the says you had problems sending to my e-mail address. I looked at my sent e-mail and the address is correct. One of our ISPs may be having difficulty (wouldn't be surprised if it were mine). Maybe a phone number on the web site would have prevented this from occurring. I would have made a toll call in the middle of the night (here in EST time) to find the status of my box. Had I known it was on its way, I wouldn't have looked elsewhere.

Back