Sound waves in your airbox~?~

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
I just read an interesting article in Super Streetbike about air boxes, and how they have changed over the years...

There has been a good bit of talk on here about different length stacks that people use.

This article is talking about the different high and low pressure waves (similar to sound) that airboxs, stacks, etc can make within your airbox.

It also states "carefully sized chambers (stacks I'm assuming) in the airbox will resonate at certain frequencies, and can actually help improve the airflow into the inlet at certain engine speeds."

I know this is old news as far as changing the size of the stacks around, but a simple explanation was just because of different air flow at certain RPM's...

I thought this was an interesting more in depth article showing "why" it changes~!~ :thumbsup:

Page 70 Oct edition << Yeah, I know...been a little behind on reading

Last edited:
Speaking of airboxes.....I might not have the location right, but on my 99 the rear airbox(?) openings under the passenger seat were big enough and empty space for the passenger to get there hands onto to hang on.
On my 03 the left airbox is empty, but the right is occupied and you cannot get your hand in it or on it to hang on.....is this right!

Speaking of airboxes.....I might not have the location right, but on my 99 the rear airbox(?) openings under the passenger seat were big enough and empty space for the passenger to get there hands onto to hang on.
On my 03 the left airbox is empty, but the right is occupied and you cannot get your hand in it or on it to hang on.....is this right!

That's a hand hole. Only on one side.

Hey Captian,
So only a handhold for the left hand? That seems impractical.... was there 2 on the 99"s ...if not what was missing from my right side?

HPIM3233.jpg
If you are talking about this, it is only open on the lift side.
I use it to grab on too the tail frame and lift up on it too pull the bike up on the center stand.

HPIM3233.jpg

uhhh...uhhhh,,.......if thats what you are refering to...its a cosmetic vent/hole on the rear cowling or commonly know as tail section not for grabs .......your passenger should never be grabbing on to this period, not even the rear grab bar if you have it, they should be hanging on to you.....???

Last edited:
Back