Something For Snake/RSD...  $350K Monoblock...

..yep..  ..all of ya correct..    

..only argument is this:  picture yourselves when you are drooling over a $100.000 full-carbon bike, w/marchesini wheels, exotic brakes, cams, etc..     ..is this bike REALLY $93.000 faster-better than yours?..  

..exaggeration is a crucial element in the art of progress..   ..you never can tell WHERE to draw the line when you hit for "perfection"..     ..and no one can tell you, of course..  

..audio is more or less my business..     ..I can sit down with 20 different people, listen to the same song, and get 20 different "views", "opinions", "whatever-you-wanna-call-it"..    ..does this proves anything?  well, one thing it does;  that objectivity goes out of the window when it comes to humans..    ..you like Chianti?  good for you!  your best friend is entitled to hate it - no reason why, and I reccon you would still be friends, right?

..now, a $350K amp..    ..to get this thing in your house, you have to have a "proper" setup - with speakers & sources well over that amount, and yes, there ARE folks who have those in HUMBLE houses, and they are AVERAGE financially (only they can't afford/allow the luxury of any other hobby/activity in their lives..)..    ..you also have to be able to APPRECIATE (= understand..) the difference between "this and that", and be h@rny enough to want "that from this"..  

..there are also plenty of rich "afficionados" that want to impress chicks/friends/or simply pump their ego..     ..or, they are so stinking rich that NO OTHER AMP WILL DO, THAN THE MOST EXPENSIVE ONE!..      ..they are ruining it also for the rest of us, because manufacturers would think TWICE before they put price tags on equipment..

..to the question "if a $350K amp plays $340K better than the "X" brand amp" the answer is no..    ..but, to SOME people this tiny difference JUSTIFIES the extra cost..    ..the "tap" from the foot of a musician, if seen as "extracted" from the big picture is ridiculous - plain n' simple..    ..but the little nuances of a live or studio performance that can be transferred in our room, can also transfer us to another era, perhaps in the same room that this performance was originally recorded..  

..it's called "magic" and there's no price tag on it..  
smile.gif
Yeah Wizard I hear you, I know what your getting at and I kinda Agree... Except for one thing, ignorance, hype, smoke and Mirrors. It's not magic, it's Voodoo... At least sometimes.

Pen & Teller have a funny show on Showtime called Bullsh!t. They look at today’s society and expose the "Bullsh!t" out there, things that are just messed up. One of there shows covered bottled water, they set up a "Water List" at a nice Restaurant, bottles with exotic names, and exotic prices. They filled every bottle right from the garden hose outback, and hilarity ensued. You had folks going on and on about the "delicate hints of Blah" and actually discussing the differences in the various bottles. Acting like they really new what they were doing, trying hard to fit in, to act the part. To do what they felt was expected of them, regardless of the fact that all the bottles were filled from the same garden hose, folks were going on and on about the differences, and getting agreement from spouses/friends... Interesting huh?

Sort of highlights where I am going with my argument. You said you get 20 different people listening to the same music and each hears something different. I am certain they all think they are really impressing the sales guy with their "cultured Ear" or their use of the lingo. For the most part, it's all a bunch of crap.

Think about it, folks buying their low-end consumer gear at Best Buy don't give a fug about anything other than getting something that sounds better than what they have now. They probably know bobo about the gear they are listening to other than what sounds good to them and what doesn't. Simple.

Now, you get the guy walking into a High-end shop they prolly have at least a basic idea of what they are after, who makes “good†stuff "According to the press" and what names will impress buddies. But they may also be intimidated by the whole process, afraid of admitting ignorance of being caught not knowing what the hell they are on about.

Try this, next time you have a "consumer" in the store give them the usual treatment, then instead of actually changing an Amp, or swapping a speaker (Within a similar range anyway) just pretend to switch, punch a couple of dead buttons and then acting all pleased with yourself ask them how much better it sounds now? Tell them it's the latest thing. Whatever, but talk it up and I bet you'll get a large number of folks that will go on and on about how much better OR WORSE the music sounds... Simply based on the suggestion that something was changed, enhanced etc.

It's the comment ..you also have to be able to APPRECIATE (= understand..) the difference between "this and that", [/QUOTE] that keeps people buying into what may be nothing more than smoke and mirrors. It's the threat to ones refinement, the implication that one may indeed be too plebian to be able to "Understand". This is what keeps a lot of the High-end stuff in business. Societies fear of embarrassment, of appearing "Uncool". And this relates directly to the stuffed shirt Full of Sh!t examples I presented above.

I am not saying there isn't a difference between Mid-Grade and Premium gear, or wines, or Cigars, etc... I am not saying that there aren't folks out there that may really know what they are talking about. But I am saying that probably 70-80% of folks that are shopping/buying at the Bleeding Edge, do so blindly, simply because they have been told that this thing or that thing are better, superior, or simply more expensive. These are the same idiots buying HUMMER H2's, victims of marketing, of clever sales, and a desire or hell NEED to keep up with the Joneses, to project the "image".

Heh and you show me a "Financially AVERAGE" person with $350K Amps in their modest homes, and I'll show a lonely single man... Remember, average US HOUSEHOLD income is something like $40-45k? Not a lot of average households will be dropping this kind of coin on Sound gear...

Mention a $1000 turntable to an audiophile—even a digital-only one—and he won't blink. Mention a $1000 'table to your average "a-Bose-Wave-Radio-equals-room-filling-sound" kinda guy and his look says "$1000 for a what?" [/QUOTE]

yep... thats me.

Yall amaze me at the stuff you get miffed over sometimes..

I figure if it gets his rocks off then yee-haw for them.

some people thinks because it's expensive that it's good.
it helps but not everytime.

WINE for example,
my wife's boss has a wine tasting night every 2 weeks
they each buy an expensife bottle, hide the lable, taste them and rank them.
a month ago, he bought a 3$ bottle and it came second. All the other bottles were 75 and up.
Either that can't taste shid.
But I believe that expensive wine is not necessarily better, people have different taste.
I am a wine lover and won't go into detail of mature wine and stuff.
But I just gave an example to show that some people can't tell the difference between good stuff and veery good stuff.

Do I sound miffed? I thought it was mostly amused, or interested, or attempting to highlight some of the silliness in the world...

Never said there isn't a Good, Better, best, in life. It's the getting all goofy about whatever your particular obsession is that cracks me up...

Particularly Wine, Audio Gear, Cigars, etc... Tell you what, I dig a good cigar, but there are times when "Backwoods" is the cats ass... And hell they are what, a foil pack for $5? He he, Expensive doesn't mean quality.

Samuel Clemens, used to smoke the darkest cheapest cigars he could find, it's what he enjoyed. His fellow smokers and guests would harass him about those cheap cigars and how they were bitter and didn't match their premium "uptown cigars. Well Ole Samuel took the rings off of several of the pricey cigars, and wrapped them around his cheap bargain brand stogies. Lo and behold, he offers these "premium" cigars to his friends and the begin espousing the virtues of the fine wrapper, and quality taste of these smokes... Interesting huh? Just the simple suggestion that something is the "Best" or "Better Than" can greatly Influence ones perceptions and expectations.

rev-- I don't like cigars and I wouldn't know cow turds from cuban esctasy. I did however score two boxes of Fuentes (sp?) down in the DR for around $50 for the two boxes. I brought em home and gave them to my ole boss who is a cigar lover. He was in love and went crazy. I guess they were good, he keeps asking me when I'm gonig back
smile.gif
   He mentioned they cost an arm and leg in the states. Curious are these considered "great" cigars?" I tried one to be a good sport and I felt like yacking!

<!--EDIT|thesnake
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092765462 -->

Anyone ever try Johnny Walker Swing? I cannot find it in the states for some reason but usally pick up a few bottles when I travel. For me, it's one of my favorites.

cbphoto254.jpg

Rev, I think I pretty much covered my case.. Not much I can add, except I am NOT in the "consumer" audio business but in Pro-Audio and trust me the bs there can't cut it in a zillion years! ..meaning that the "sound" gets a price tag ON-THE-SITE and if it is ONE CENT more than it sounds it hits the road with my royal a** getting the "kick treatment" - full time..
smile.gif

The example with the water is very funny, but can't quite be measurable a $5-a-pop of water tasting (meaning that you can afford to play the part of a true coinesseur ignorant jack-a** on that cost.. ) with a $500K audio system..

The "switching" game I have performed several times, for laughs and for serious reasons.. ..you are right, in most cases you can play with voodoo magic.. BUT THAT IS NOT THE ISSUE!.. There is significant difference between systems, and to this end we can't bring down to the ground everything that costs more than the Radio Shack specials season's offer..

People are funny sometimes, equipment are FUN always..
smile.gif

smile.gif

The "switching" game I have performed several times, for laughs and for serious reasons..   ..you are right, in most cases you can play with voodoo magic..   BUT THAT IS NOT THE ISSUE!..    There is significant difference between systems, and to this end we can't bring down to the ground everything that costs more than the Radio Shack specials season's offer..   [/QUOTE]  

True enough....   However, the Switching "game" and the Voodoo are exactly my point.  

rant.gif

There are obvious differences in performance/price to a point, it's beyond this "Point" (whatever it may be depending on situation) where things start getting uh... cloudy.   This is where the smoke and mirrors and potential consumer arrogance/ignorance/gullibility.. whatever, come into play.  

It's a free market...  (Sort of) and that's a good thing, there are a thousand wonderful choices out there for just about anything a person could want to buy.  So in the end the true Audiophile has a vast assortment of gear to choose from, and will be able to make reasonable choices based on his or her preferences. At the lofty end of the scale it is going to be all about preferences after all.  Just think about your standard customer, how easy it would be to swing them from one brand to the next based on what you say is the latest and greatest...  It's the posers, the clueless with cash, and the "Image" folks that I am talking about.  

It's the dipsh!ts in their new H2's that actually think they bought a "Safe off road vehicle", it's the Rap "Artist" showing off his "Sub Zero Full of nothin but Imported beer."  
laugh.gif

It's the worshiping of labels, the Fuggin LV bag carrying buckethead getting into her freakin Corolla.
laugh.gif

It's the buying Cristal because someone said was "Top Shelf"  
laugh.gif

Finally, It's the trappings, the appearance, and the Fuggin pursuit of an Image or Lifestyle that's fed to consumers on TV, Radio, and print media.  The thinking that buying this Car, or wearing this watch, or carrying that clownshoes LV handbag, will somehow make one appear sophisticated, or wealthy, or powerful.  

No real concept as to why someone should buy a Benz, just that it's expensive so away they go, NO idea what the hell IWC or Audemars Piguet is but will be wearing Gucci or Rolex cause it's recognizable.  On and Fugging on...  It's the New 7 Series parked outside the shitty apartment, the $60k a year employee with the new SL500.  Image chasing...  That’s where the clueless consumerism comes into play at the high end.  Attempting to buy an image, to impress someone, to fill an empty life with "Stuff" basically.

---Wait I just fuggin went off....  

I guess my whole point really, is that there are real knowledgeable consumers out there.  Folks that know what and why they are buying what they are buying.  Enthusiasts or whatever you want to call them.  But the other side of the coin are the "Image" shoppers, the folks who have just about made a little money, or have made a sh!t ton of money and will spend whatever it takes to appear cultured.  Call it name brand Culturalism, or something...  The hope that by wearing the watch, or driving the car one will somehow earn respect or appear cultured, but otherwise knowing exactly bobo about why a particular car or watch is cool, or who designed it, and why it looks the way it does, or why it sounds the way it does...  
rant.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

rant.gif

..in fact, I don't see where we DON'T agree..
smile.gif
..it's just that I am against "all are the same, why pay more?" attitude.. ..at least, when I know not all are the same..

..now, let me put on my discman and go riding!.. now, THAT'S the best sound system!!..
smile.gif

smile.gif

rev-- I don't like cigars and I wouldn't know cow turds from cuban esctasy. I did however score two boxes of Fuentes (sp?) down in the DR for around $50 for the two boxes. I brought em home and gave them to my ole boss who is a cigar lover. He was in love and went crazy. I guess they were good, he keeps asking me when I'm gonig back
smile.gif
   He mentioned they cost an arm and leg in the states. Curious are these considered "great" cigars?" I tried one to be a good sport and I felt like yacking!
Arturo Fuente? Are a D.R. Cigar I think.  Sounds about right.  I don't really know much about cigars overall, and to be honest I do not believe that there is really all that much to know.  There are good and bad smokes.  The Cuban cigars I have had didn't really do all that much for me.  

I think the Cigar Aficianado is one of the most FULL OF SH!D mother Fuggers out there in La LA land....  Initially there are some subtle differences, and some cigars will just go out, etc.  But when it comes to the "Flavors"  I say BS.  There are little variations and some are less harsh than others, but over all, cigars are entertainment for your fingers while trying to come up with something better to do while drinking a good scotch, or playing golf...  Beyond that, it's a poser douchebag image thing... Smoke em if you enjoy them, but don't go on and on about this or that filler, or seed...  a Good Cigar is better than a cheap cigar.  True enough, but in the end your still just a geek with a big dong of tobacco hanging outta your face...  
smile.gif
 Sucking on a big ole' brown D#*@.  

Now wanna go have a cigar?  He he he.

I am supposed to be heading to a club tonight to do just that...  I'm looking forward to a local Hand rolled and I'll prolly have an ACID or Montecristo on hand in case the hand rolled blows.   Should be interesting huh?  ACID makes a good smoke, mostly I dig em' cause they are sorta unconventional, hell they have a SportBike in their adds... how could I not love that?  
smile.gif
  Montecristo is one I have enjoyed before. But then again I like Backwoods cigars as well, so I really dunno...

smile.gif

smile.gif

Back