Some of you might now, some won't but its all good

MLSDUKE1

Live from Mom's basement
Registered
My name is (E-5) SSgt Matthew Short and I'm in the Air Force.

Every year after you hit Senior Airman (SrA = E4) you take a test called a WAPS test. Weighted Airman Promotion System. Its a test that goes over the knowledge portion of your job acquired through books called CDC (Career Development Course) and the PDG (Professional Development Guide). They take the scores from those two tests, a calculation of points for Time In Service (TIS), Time In Grade (TIG), number of certain decorations, and Enlisted Promotion Ratings (EPRs) to make your combined "score" of points.

They then, after everyone has tested, figure out how many of each rank we need in the AF and make a "cut-off" score.

Last year, I tested for TSgt (E-6) and the cut-off was 294.35. I missed the cut off by 1.53 points and never cracked open the PDG nor did I take the plastic shrink wrap off my CDC's. I went in blind and missed the hardest rank to test for by less than 2 points. Sounds like this year I'd have it in the bag, right? I mean, that's another year accumulating points from TIG and TIS.

Wrong. Now that I'm actually STUDYING, I feel like I'm going to answer questions wrong because I'll THINK I read it in the book.

According to WAPS calculators online, I only have to make 55's on both tests to get tech (assuming its around the same cut off as last year) but I'm nervous as hell.

I've been studying my ass off and feel like I haven't retained much at all.

The 500 pg PDG is such dry jargon that my mind doesn't want to read it but I keep going till I just can't anymore.

The CDC's only really covered straight jet motors (think C-17's and F-22's) and I'm a turboprop/turboshaft craftsman (7 level) and I don't know much about straight jets at all. I hate that I have to test over stuff I've never even touched.

I know that you probably don't care but I'm nervous.

Can I just get some of you to say some prayers for me? My family could really use the extra income.

Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations and for reading

I'm the same way, and after I start the exam, I'm like dayum :laugh:

Prayer sent brother :please:

Relax

McMillan Study Guides

This software helped me. As well, don't burn out and do to much at one time. I'm sure you know of the software above and it really helped me.

MSgt and Finally Retired! Go get em. :thumbsup:

My name is (E-5) SSgt Matthew Short and I'm in the Air Force.

Every year after you hit Senior Airman (SrA = E4) you take a test called a WAPS test. Weighted Airman Promotion System. Its a test that goes over the knowledge portion of your job acquired through books called CDC (Career Development Course) and the PDG (Professional Development Guide). They take the scores from those two tests, a calculation of points for Time In Service (TIS), Time In Grade (TIG), number of certain decorations, and Enlisted Promotion Ratings (EPRs) to make your combined "score" of points.

They then, after everyone has tested, figure out how many of each rank we need in the AF and make a "cut-off" score.

Last year, I tested for TSgt (E-6) and the cut-off was 294.35. I missed the cut off by 1.53 points and never cracked open the PDG nor did I take the plastic shrink wrap off my CDC's. I went in blind and missed the hardest rank to test for by less than 2 points. Sounds like this year I'd have it in the bag, right? I mean, that's another year accumulating points from TIG and TIS.

Wrong. Now that I'm actually STUDYING, I feel like I'm going to answer questions wrong because I'll THINK I read it in the book.

According to WAPS calculators online, I only have to make 55's on both tests to get tech (assuming its around the same cut off as last year) but I'm nervous as hell.

I've been studying my ass off and feel like I haven't retained much at all.

The 500 pg PDG is such dry jargon that my mind doesn't want to read it but I keep going till I just can't anymore.

The CDC's only really covered straight jet motors (think C-17's and F-22's) and I'm a turboprop/turboshaft craftsman (7 level) and I don't know much about straight jets at all. I hate that I have to test over stuff I've never even touched.

I know that you probably don't care but I'm nervous.

Can I just get some of you to say some prayers for me? My family could really use the extra income.

Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations and for reading

Either memorize it, or skim through and go with your gut!
Kinda like a DMV drivers test!

have faith man...love to help you but i stopped studys of jet and turboprops back in 92 lol

Best of luck and try to not worry too much; impossible, I know, but all the worrying never changes a thing...

:thumbsup:

you can do it...take a deep breath, do the best you can, and know that what is supposed to happen will come about when it is time :beerchug:

Study your azz off. If you had last year you might already be that next rank. Good luck.

Lesson hopefully learned: Don't leave stuff that matters to you to chance.

You put the work IN and IT will pay off! The mind is retaining more than you know. Have confidence in yourself and the work you do. Have Faith.
Positive Vibes sent your way!

Use the crapper method.

1. Stack your CDCs and PDG on the left side of the toilet.

2. Every time you have a "seat" start reading.

3. Once you finish a book stak it on the right.

4. Go the other way

5. Do this all year!

I used to tell all my airmen to do this and you would not believe how many thanked me!

Method 2

Some advice from a retired E-8. Be sure to take the long view on this. Buy one of the PDG study guides from Clothing Sales. Install the testmaker program on your computer. You should also enter the questions in the CDCs themselves. Study!. Each time you test, skim through the CDCs and PDG and highlight the answers to the questions you remember. If you don't remember the question, highlight the paragraph. Make a test on your computer for all the highlighted questions and make up questions from the paragraphs you highlighted. Take this test monthly and start taking it weekly a month or so before testing. Do this every year and each time you test your score will go up exponentially. I scored 86s on my SKT when I tested for E-6 and E-7.

You will tend to study the things you already know. Be sure to break that cycle.

If your job has different aspects and you only work one of them, don't be afraid to visit other sections and learn what they do. I see you are turboprops. Pay close attention to the differences between them and regular jet engines.

As for the PDG test, I had the same issue with the content. THe PDG study guide is the key. Set up a schedule and do the studying. All year is best but start no later than 6 months out. It's much easier to retain knowledge by refreshing what you know than forgetting and having to relearn it. Commit yourself to stay in the PDG all year and you will do well.

Good Luck!!!

Thanks to all of you, ESPECIALLY ya'll that have been in and know what is going on. I'm still studying my ass off and finally feel like I'm making progress. The wif has been going over all the questions in all of the CDC's each day with me.

As for the PDG, I have taken 3 practice tests: First one 77%, 2nd was 98%, third one (which went over very VERY knit picky stuff) 60%. Granted, the 98% one was STUPID easy. How many stripes on the American flag? Really?

I appreciate ya'll giving me good wishes and prayers! 1 more day and then, on Friday, I test. Theeeeeeeen its the waiting game........ Going back to studying. I'll post again sometime tomorrow.

BTW, I had the PDG gold when I tested for Staff but can't find the disc to save my life. I can't afford to pay for it again either. But they do let you take a practice test online once a week for free :thumbsup:

McMillan Study Guides

This software helped me. As well, don't burn out and do to much at one time. I'm sure you know of the software above and it really helped me.

MSgt and Finally Retired! Go get em. :thumbsup:

Do they not have cliff notes for that thing?

And as far as your nervousness goes.........see the marijuana thread. :laugh:

Good luck brother. Just remember to get plenty of sleep the night before, eat a good breakfast, and take a deep breath.

Had a friend of mine who was just like this. He knew his stuff just as well as myself if not better but when it came time to sit and test, he froze. I helped him by quizzing him in a test like environment, he finally found certain ways to relax and passed it. Just find things to think about that calm you. Get some good rest and kick their ass!:cheerleader::hello: you got it bro!!! Ill say a prayer for ya!

No different than army sqt test. For only 2 points assuming cutoff is the same, do what you are doing but read up on multiple choice test skills. A lot of people mess up on multiple choice tests by not answering all the questions. Not eliminating dumb choices etc... As long as you don't get penalized for 'guessing', some tests do.

Good luck.

If you continue on to college in the technical field, you will see tests with no multiple choice answers and it will be 1 page with a diagram. :laugh: You will look back on this and wish it was that easy ???

Back