So I need to have my top end looked at...Big HP difference between a 1300 and 1363?

tommyv

Registered
Have a sweet 03 Busa, with a Velocity Stage 1 Turbo, 1360 Low Comp motor, Carillo Rods, etc. Bike was last dynoed at 239 HP. Had planned to sell it to get away from Turbos, and as soon as I list it, it starts eating spark plugs in numer 3 cylinder. Long story short, I am leaning towards selling the turbo, and removing the low comp pistons. Last bike was a Gen 2 Motor (B-king) and I had 180hp at the wheel running 10.0s. I'm looking to get close to the 200hp range, and figure on getting somewhere around $2500 for my Turbo kit to put towards my parts. Bike will be a daily driver, and raced weekly in the street bike class. Looking forward to hearing everyones thoughts.

Re: So I need to have my top end looked at...Big HP difference between a 1300 and 136

What do you mean by eating spark plugs ?

Re: So I need to have my top end looked at...Big HP difference between a 1300 and 136

I have foulded the same number 3 plug 3 times in the last 2 months. First thought was dirty injector, but after talking to people, I think either you would get fuel or no fuel. The crankcase filter is covered in oil leading me to believe I may have a bad ring. I wanted to sell her but don't want to sell someone something not right or knowing what the problem is. First plug didn't worry me. If im going to keep her, Im looking to go non turbo for bracket racing again and figure since the bike is done up already, might as well go with a mean all motor built

Not a mechanic, but if the gap is not set properly a turbo will definitely quench the spark and cause this issue. If the plug is wet with oil not fuel, then you probably have a ring problem, I would think a wiper. PM GIXERHP, contact Richard at RCC, both of them love to help others.

Thanks Robert. Have a local guy who is going to take top end apart to inspect this fall/winter. Just debating on which way I should go once its apart. Love the turbo power but as there's no one local to me who deals with turbos thinking of just having a mean motor built.

Your bike your money your decision. I've thought about the turbo option for many years. Most will tell you a stock Busa is enough :laugh:

If the only problem with the engine is the fact it needs a new set of rings, why not just toss a set of rings at it? I mean, it sounds like the bike is already set-up pretty well so for the time of removing the engine, a few gaskets and a set of rings, it seems more logical to go that route.

I guess my thinking is it hard for me to be consistant at the strip with a turbo, so that's why I'm tossing around the idea

Your turbo bike can be consistent if you put the time and practice in...... and have a healthy motor. 240whp is not uncontrollable at the track with the correct suspension set-up, long wheel base and good tire.

Why go backwards to a slower set-up? Your bike makes the power to go mid 8's with an average experienced rider.

Would love to see that! Best to date is 9.68 at 150mph with a horrible 60ft time
Your turbo bike can be consistent if you put the time and practice in...... and have a healthy motor. 240whp is not uncontrollable at the track with the correct suspension set-up, long wheel base and good tire.

Why go backwards to a slower set-up? Your bike makes the power to go mid 8's with an average experienced rider.

I'd just get the top end freshened and go from there.
Are you really in this to be consistent and be some sort of bracket racing legend, or do you just want to go to teh track and have a good time?

What was done to make the bike low compression? Spacer with stock pistons?

Where are you located? Where do you race? Maybe there are some local guys that can help you with your horrible 60ft time and make it more fun for you.

Would love to see that! Best to date is 9.68 at 150mph with a horrible 60ft time

150mph is REALLY REALLY low for a bike that makes 240whp.... unless you're a 300lb+ rider. My bike makes right around 200whp and with me at 200lbs suited, I trap in the 155-157mph range.

Im going by the dyno sheet I got when I bought the bike. Once the work is completed, it will be going in for a tune. Im 240 without my suit on. And my last 2 bikes I bracket raced, I was very competitive with. If I wasn't running a 10.0, I was running a 10.1 and winning lots of trophys. I think I'm going to refrest the top end, have tuned for more boost, and possibly pick up another Busa to use as a bracket racer. To answer a question above, it has low comp Turbo pistons in it.

I think I'm going to refrest the top end, have tuned for more boost, and possibly pick up another Busa to use as a bracket racer. To answer a question above, it has low comp Turbo pistons in it.

I think that's your best option too

Back