So I inquired what "Trade-in" would be while at

DNGrumpy

Sometimes Dopey fits too
Donating Member
Registered
I was driving by the local dealer today and asked what they'd give me for a trade in if I were to purchase a new 06' or 07' something just to see what they would do. They give nothing for aftermarket parts or mods, they offer just straight book based on mileage. Mine is a 04' LE with 4K on the clock, I own it outright. They said if it was perfect they could give $5500. Ouch!!! We are coming out of riding season already but that just plain hurts. He said I'd do much better to sell it outright and bring in cash. This is a load of crap, I tried to purchase this bike from them with cash (Aug. 05') and they wanted $12,500 for the 05' LE they had. I bought elsewhere, my 04' LE was a leftover at $9200 or they had the 05' Le for $9800.

I just don't get these guys...

(DNGrumpy @ Sep. 12 2006,14:59) I just don't get these guys...
that's cause it ain't supposed to work that way...the way it works is...."They Get You"....and smile in yer face the entire time.....that's why...the last three bikes i bought?...went like this....

In late '99?....i bought an early release '00 Kaw ZRX1100 with 5K on the odo...privately for $6K even...(guy was asking $6,500) and came with a matching helmet that actually fit me) and maint. records included...i rolled the odo up too 22,000+ miles before a minivan totaled it for me...and his insurance company cut me a check for $6,900.

In may of '01?...I flew one-way too Newark, NJ and bought a very slightly used Black '01 Yami FZ1 w/ 1,500 miles on the odo...with a GYTR slip-on and Yami FZ1 bike cover...guy was asking $7,200...he took $6,500 ca$h...(i couldn't roll a new one out the door anywheres local here for anything under $9K)....and i happily rode it 1,300 miles back home to south floirda...almost 4 years later?...w/ 27,000+ on the odo?...I sold it to a guy who traveled all the way from texas to buy it...for $4,500 and then?...

out with the old?...

Busahome.jpg

and in with the "almost" new...

Busastickers.jpg

Busamiles.jpg

over 18 months ago?...i found an '03 busa w/ only 1,600 miles on the odo....get this...from a sheriffs deputy....he was afraid to ride it.....as....it was his first streetbike.
wow.gif

Price?...$8,500 with a matching Shoei RF900 Hayabusa Edition Silver/Graphite lid.
biggrin.gif

There's a reason we call'im "Stealerships".....and buying a "NEW" bike from them or trading in an "Old" bikes too them is always the worst deal on two wheels.

Buyer Beware and...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

For the most part, a Dealer's (Stealers) bottom line is PROFIT! They'll buy your Busa for the lowest amount possible which is usually Blue Book Retail Used and then mark it up like crazy and Voila.....Money!!!

You'd be better off selling private party. Check your local Cycletrader, newspaper ad, and post fliers. You'll get offers and I'm sure she's worth more than $5k.

dealers always give squat for trades....and truthfully it makes sense.

99% of people who come into a dealer to buy a used bike need to be SOLD a bike. they dont know what they want. most educated buyers buy used stuff privately because its cheaper. peroid. so, any aftermarket parts that are on the bike dont mean anything to the uneducated buyer. nothing at all.

so, in theory if they gave yoiu $7k for your bike...they put it out for $8500-$8900. if you can afford an $8900 bike....you can spend a grand more and get a new bike. selling new bikes gets a dealer more market leverage with their franchise.

hi dollar trade in are dead space on a sales floor. so, they buy em cheap, if they can.

(JINKSTER @ Sep. 12 2006,18:35)
(DNGrumpy @ Sep. 12 2006,14:59) I just don't get these guys...
that's cause it ain't supposed to work that way...the way it works is...."They Get You"....and smile in yer face the entire time.....that's why...the last three bikes i bought?...went like this....

In late '99?....i bought an early release '00 Kaw ZRX1100 with 5K on the odo...privately for $6K even...(guy was asking $6,500) and came with a matching helmet that actually fit me) and maint. records included...i rolled the odo up too 22,000+ miles before a minivan totaled it for me...and his insurance company cut me a check for $6,900.

In may of '01?...I flew one-way too Newark, NJ and bought a very slightly used Black '01 Yami FZ1 w/ 1,500 miles on the odo...with a GYTR slip-on and Yami FZ1 bike cover...guy was asking $7,200...he took $6,500 ca$h...(i couldn't roll a new one out the door anywheres local here for anything under $9K)....and i happily rode it 1,300 miles back home to south floirda...almost 4 years later?...w/ 27,000+ on the odo?...I sold it to a guy who traveled all the way from texas to buy it...for $4,500 and then?...

out with the old?...

Busahome.jpg

and in with the "almost" new...

Busastickers.jpg

Busamiles.jpg

over 18 months ago?...i found an '03 busa w/ only 1,600 miles on the odo....get this...from a sheriffs deputy....he was afraid to ride it.....as....it was his first streetbike.
wow.gif

Price?...$8,500 with a matching Shoei RF900 Hayabusa Edition Silver/Graphite lid.
biggrin.gif

There's a reason we call'im "Stealerships".....and buying a "NEW" bike from them or trading in an "Old" bikes too them is always the worst deal on two wheels.

Buyer Beware and...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Hey jinks what happened to the ignition switch there? Looks like a bunch of holes punched in it?

As far as selling vs. trading goes. If you trade you are simply paying for the convenience of moving your ride without having to do any haggling or hassle that is invariably involved in the selling of a used vehicle. There is a fairly large price associated with this convenience, which most people find intolerable and choose to sell ourselves, hassle and all. Motorcycle dealerships are no more evil in this respect than any other car or boat dealer. Make no mistake they are in business for one reason and that is to separate you and you hard earned cash. I just sold my 20 year old GS1150ES last fall for almost 3/4 of what I paid for it new 20 years earlier. But the transaction was not without its challenges! The buyer hassled me for weeks or maybe months and finally coerced his wife into allowing him to buy. Would I do it again? Absolutely! But that’s just me!

I agree with Jinkster dealers suck. They wont really offer much on a trade as far as your parts go. You are better off keeping the stock parts and if trading it in strip her down and sell the aftermarket parts on your own.

It just kills me that he told me they'd give me $5500 and put it out on the floor fro $8999 which is only $200 less than I paid for it in 05'.

I don't mind traveling for a deal, I bought my last two boats on ebay from the Miami area and I live in Massachusetts...

I was just fishing at the dealer... It still kills me though.

yOUR DEALERSHIP JUST SUCKS AND DOES NOT WANT YOUR BUSINESS!

cLEAN TRADE FROM NADA BOOK IS $7250.

rOUGH TRADE IS $6490........

wISH YOU WERE HERE. i'D GIVE YOU A FAIR TRADE.

**** THEM BRO. GO ELSEWHERE......

Not all dealerships suck. While many do. There are some of us doing fair business deals. I sell a shitload of bikes - everyone I can look myself in the mirror and know that I have done fair deals on. I don't play that freight and set-up fake charge **** either. Square deals.Every single time.

Hell I just sold another Busa yesterday for $500 under MSRP. Gave the guy a helmet and also a jacket & gloves at dealer cost.

Its not brain science. If you want a customers business you'll earn it. If not - they'll go elsewhere.

With winters up here in Maine you can get real good deals on bikes just at the end of the season. I bought my 2000 Busa in 01 800 miles mint with the bikestand bone stock from a guy for 7500 I was trying to buy a new one but couldnt find a dealer in the area that had one.

(tedbiele @ Sep. 13 2006,01:25) Not all dealerships suck. While many do. There are some of us doing fair business deals. I sell a shitload of bikes - everyone I can look myself in the mirror and know that I have done fair deals on. I don't play that freight and set-up fake charge **** either. Square deals.Every single time.

Hell I just sold another Busa yesterday for $500 under MSRP. Gave the guy a helmet and also a jacket & gloves at dealer cost.

Its not brain science. If you want a customers business you'll earn it. If not - they'll go elsewhere.
I agree with Ted here.
I Picked up my Busa from a dealer for 7999 last year. It had 3-4 k in mods and had 4200 miles. They changed the oil and threw in a new rear tire. So not all dealers are bad
wink.gif

I saw one last weekend; beautiful bike. It was at a honda dealership. Beautiful 03, silver color, no scratches, 3,000 miles on it. The guy traded it in on a brand new Harley Davidson Police Edition... yeah, I can hear some of you thinking the same thing I was.

Anyways, the dealer was cutting prices on all of their used bikes, including this one, and they had "reduced" this one down to $9,999... Didn't even come with vasoline...

cLEAN TRADE FROM NADA BOOK IS $7250.[/Quote]

Hell, kelly bb has my '06 at 6230... How can there be such a disparity between KBB and NADA? Makes no sense.

The one thing you get from trading in at a dealership is peace of mind that the buyer isn't bringing it back to YOU if it breaks. I lost about $1K trading in my Duc versus a private sale, but never had to think about it after that. Just gotta find that one that will pay for the mods.

Not all dealers are bad...there's nothing like buying your Busa from a Harley dealer, though...especially when they can't get it to start...and don't want to spend the time to try and fix it.

That alone saved me $2,000.
super.gif

Back