Should I run open hedders?

Jonny Hotnuts

Registered
I was considering running open hedders on the busa powered Bonnaville car I am putting together.
Noise is not a problem and from what I read in the exaust thread that on a high performace motor the more free flowing it is, the better HP numbers you can gain.
I see many motors out there running no muffler setups. Is there any problems with doing this on a busa?

I was thinking of cutting a stock hedder just before the X so there will be 4 open tubes.

Thanks for any advice,

-JH

It would be better to run an aftermarket header, they perform better. I know Golden Child has some Murray sidewinder headers he wants rid of.....

yup...biggest choke is the stock headers...too narrow.

by cutting those headers off tho...you are going to be putting heat (hot heat) right at the oil pan.

try one of the sidewinders as suggested.

I am going to have to re-rout the headder tubes so they will be going off to the side because I dont have clearance under the motor (because of the spool shaft)

what I need to know is it a problem to run straght pipes.....with no muffler. Can a run the risk of burning a valve with no backpressure or will I accually loose power or will it gain a few ponys and make ears bleed.

As long as its got enough fuel to keep things from being burnt no prob
rock.gif
In most cases that is too much fuel and hurts low end. I take it you won't be doing a Dyno run
rock.gif
beerchug.gif

rock.gif

I am still debaiting on if I should put it on a chassy dyno.
I would like to but not really sure if it will be needed because the motor is stock less PC3, air filter pipe and no par. I just did not think I did enough to gain (or loose) HP.

Dan a.k.a. Golden Child is helping on the project and he has been an great sorce of help and tech support.

I hate saying it but if the car does not run the numbers in pre-testing before the time trials I am going to start throwing some real money at the motor.
One of my goals with this project is to show that the little guy can put together a car and beat a record without having 150K in a motor and a team of aerospace scientest working on it.

It was our goal to have less than 10K in everything and because someone donated two rolling cars to the team we are well on our way but we wont know what the car will do untill we start road testing. So far the numbers look like it should be in the 160-175mph range.....good enough to break the record @ 151. But if it doesnt......

Big jugs, web cam and headwork.

That will put us well over the 10K mark.

But still a drop in the bucket to the guys that spend 200K and dont break a record!!!!

Back