shifting

sTRadaBuSSa

Registered
i just hit the 250mile mark on my 2004, and decided to try clutchless shifting, but my bike wont do it, why? i tried it in high and low rpms, and different speeds. will i have to make any mods to do this?

nothing you have to let off the gas to shift
wink.gif

just let off the gas for a second and shift to the next gear... every bike can do it.

Yeah...just blip the throttle when your ready to upshift. This unloads the gears and will allow you to upshift smoothly and quick. If you do it to early (not throttled down some) or too late (throttled down some too long) it wont go. Pratice and it is pretty easy. The only way to shift in my opinion. Make sure you still use the clutch on down shifts though. Clutchless down shifting bad.
smile.gif

before you are about to shift, start putting pressure on the shift lever where you want it to go. Once ready, come off throttle about 20 - 30% and it should just snick right up into place. Get used to doing this in all other gears before you attempt to to 1st to 2nd if you do so at all. That shift has a longer throw and you are more likely to hit neutral or hear some really nasty noises.

i just started clutchless shifting and i gotta tell you, feels so much better then with the clutch. using the clutch now feels more harmful. does that make sense?
tounge.gif

If you have a PCIIIusb, you can buy a Quickshifter from Powercommander.com. The Quickshifter plugs into the PCIIIusb. When you lift up on the shift lever, the PCIIIusb shuts off the injectors for a fraction of a second, unloading the transmission. Full throttle, clutchless, up shifting only. No skill required.

If you have a PCIIIusb, you can buy a Quickshifter from Powercommander.com.  The Quickshifter plugs into the PCIIIusb.  When you lift up on the shift lever, the PCIIIusb shuts off the injectors for a fraction of a second, unloading the transmission.  Full throttle, clutchless, up shifting only.  No skill required.
NotZay, Yeah this a pretty slick little mod.I just put it on my '04 LTD, and it is the best. shifting is a breeze, and feels much more "tight" then with the clutch. I still use the clutch to Downshift,just doesnt seem to feel right, but that is just me.

??Make sure you still use the clutch on down shifts though. Clutchless down shifting bad.??

Why is that bad, is OK if your not going down drastically I usually don't downshift till I am around (1500 rpm's). I also have my shifter reversed I lowered my busa about 1 1/2" front & back when I went down an on ramp my shoe caught the pavement and I decided to leave it down low just alter the shifting. It's a little bit of getting used to but I like it alot better reversed when I am in sixth I can relax my foot on top when I cruise, you reckon that would affect it  long term(I'm not putting alot of weight just a little).
rock.gif

Thanks in advance I'm new to the board and have already learned alot.
smile.gif

biggrin.gif

wink.gif

cool.gif

<!--EDIT|Dabusaman
Reason for Edit: "did not know how to caption previous quote found it do!"|1089509490 -->

clutchless shifting is the best thing invented since sliced bread!
laugh.gif
i do it quite a bit now and i'm lovin' it. i started doing it at the track and now do it on the street. just blip the throttle a 'hair', shift and back on the gas.. the whole thing happens in way under 1 second. if you have an '03 or '04, you can have your shop rig the yellow passsing light switch to cut power for the instant as you shift thereby not even having to blip the throttle.

It gets easier once you get some more miles on her. The reason for using the clutch on down shifting is because you could lock up the rear tire if you down shift too quickly or too low a gear.

..on track two weeks ago, gained an entire 3 seconds JUST from that! (1.20" when I was at 1.23" - for a 1600 meters VERY tight and twisted track.. )

Down shifting ok too, even on frenzy mode - unless you downshift BEFORE YOU BRAKE! This is a huge missconception - always brake, THEN downshift..

I may be the only dissenter in the group but clutchless downshifting isn't a very smart thing to do especially on our high torque bikes.

We all know the clutch is designed to minimize the effect of the engine rpm speed on the tranny gears. Circumventing the gentle mesh of these forces puts unnecessary wear and tear on the plates and if it goes bad it goes really bad. At worse a self-inflicted highside at best ground up gears.

If you are a racer and going to tear down your internals every other week for adjustment or regular maintenance, go for it. But, if you’re a weekend warrior who rides for fun don't do it.

That’s my two cents- flame on

I read about this last week and started using it (with only 400 miles on mine), and it works like a charm.  Truly one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time.
super.gif

If there are any real long term effects from doing this I would like to know.  I rarely use it from 1st to 2nd but the rest work very well.

If you do it right it's harmless... Do it wrong and your going to get bent shift forks, and prolly have damaged gears... Do it right and it's smooth as butter...

also on downshift give plenty of gas, your engine speed has to catch up to wheel speed for the new gear, I do it on occassions but not too much...you can do it tho....This takes more practice...upshift is a breeze

Back