Shell Rotella T5 15w40?

I've ran this stuff in Gen1 and Gen2, anyone know a reason I shouldn't be able to run it in the Gen3?

TIA!
Seems like we have discussed more than a few times throughout the years. And I'm going by memory. Seemed to be it's made for dirty burning low RPM applications (diesel). Seemed like the Ester makeup was not recommended for us.

I've always ran it due to the zinc content for the transmission. Also ran it on my SV back in the day as well. Just no real discussion on oil, most may still be getting it done a dealership for the free change(s). Seller did offer to get it done, but I'd rather do myself.

I've always ran it due to the zinc content for the transmission. Also ran it on my SV back in the day as well. Just no real discussion on oil, most may still be getting it done a dealership for the free change(s). Seller did offer to get it done, but I'd rather do myself.
Hi. On my 1999 with a few motor mods I will be running Motul and a Zinc additive. We have increased red line to 13500 RPM It is now at 1340cc's as it has a Marine bullet 2 mm stroker crank but we keep the 20mm piston pins. We did it by getting custom JE Pistons and custom Corrillo rods. The rods are made for 13500 RPM with a 14200 over run and 1000HP.

I lost net connect so did not finish my comments above . While I have the above stated millage forgot to add the Triumph Tiger 1200 XCX / 900 GT tiger , and all my customers bikes ( ZRX / ZZR / ZX11 kaws ) this would probably be in excess of 500,000 and 15 years worth of riding between them all .

You guys do know it meets Jaso DH-2 , and Jaso MA/MA2

Suzuki ECSTAR oil is JASO certified read link below and see for yourself .

Wat
Hi. On my 1999 with a few motor mods I will be running Motul and a Zinc additive. We have increased red line to 13500 RPM It is now at 1340cc's as it has a Marine bullet 2 mm stroker crank but we keep the 20mm piston pins. We did it by getting custom JE Pistons and custom Corrillo rods. The rods are made for 13500 RPM with a 14200 over run and 1000HP.
What zinc additive do you want to use?

I used it my ZX-14 for 40k miles. After break-in on the busa, I used nothing but Rotella T6. The busa has 16k miles on it now and not a single problem. Rotella lasts about as long as conventional oil for me. I don't normally go more than 2500 miles before changing. After 2500, I notice it will miss a shift occasionally and that's my "CHANGE OIL NOW" warning. So why use Rotella if it doesn't last any longer than conventional oil? It's cheaper than motorcycle specific conventional oil, it's synthetic and I'd rather have newer oil and filter that needs to be changed more often rather than older oil and filter that will go 3x as long.

" Shell Rotella is a line of heavy-duty engine lubrication products produced by Royal Dutch Shell. The line includes engine oils, gear oils and coolants. The oil carries both the American Petroleum Institute (API) diesel "C" rating as well as the API gasoline engine "S" rating. Ratings differ based on the oil. Rotella oils, like the T3 15W-40, meet both the API CJ-4 and SM specifications, and may be used in both gasoline and diesel engines. However, it is formulated specifically for vehicles without catalytic converters, containing phosphorus levels beyond the 600–800 ppm range.[1] Therefore, Rotella is not recommended for gasoline vehicles with catalytic converters due to the higher risk of damaging these emission controls.[citation needed][2] Newer formulations of Rotella T6 however are API SM rated as safe for pre-2011 gasoline vehicles "

" Though marketed as an engine oil for diesel trucks, Rotella oil has found popularity with motorcyclists as well. The lack of "friction modifiers" in Rotella means they do not interfere with wet clutch operations. This is called a "shared sump" design, which is unlike automobiles which maintain separate oil reservoirs – one for the engine and one for the transmission. Used oil analysis reports on BobIsTheOilGuy.com have shown wear metals levels comparable to oils marketed as motorcycle-specific. "

Last edited:
Many thanks for all the replies, I just ordered a couple of gallons and filters. Now just need to do find the thread that had the info about resetting the service light.

I think I've read there's actually an access panel now where we can easily access the filter?

Yes, ju
Many thanks for all the replies, I just ordered a couple of gallons and filters. Now just need to do find the thread that had the info about resetting the service light.

I think I've read there's actually an access panel now where we can easily access the filter?
Jumper switch in tail for service mode.

Right lower panel removes for quick oil changes.

Back