SCTA REPORT

OB_ducmanic

Registered
Sunday 06-26-99
Muroc Dry Lake
Today Turbo Rick did 189.+mph on his Hayabusa.
Turbo Rick also went 203.+mph on his
93 GSXR turbo with no bodywork, and the best
inter-cooler i ever saw on a bike. Another Busa went 187.+mph, dont know the owners name, sorry guy.
ducmanic

200.2 mph was really not that accurate from that MCN video in england

there was a huge tailwind
the last 1/2 mile of that run is downhill
no kidding

but...
maybe you all knew that already
190 is a more accurate number

greg

Top speed seems dead on with what the magazines reported so I assume that the bike was stock.If not what was done?What type of fuel was used?How were the wind conditions?

Remember this was on salt-like dirt. Gas was
probably race gas???108-112octane-don't know.
Wind i would est. to be 3-5mph. cross
wind from rear. Not directly pushing, but definatly not slowing the bikes down. If these bikes can do this on a short dirt straight someone out here is going to get 200mph *Stock* real soon. Probably Turbo Rick. Hey-we can all dream.
ducmanic
Los Angeles
California

Great to hear turbo rick is doing so well.

On the subject of top speed, if you use
the stock gearing 17/40 (final drive ratio 3.76 to 1) and redline of 10900, then max speed should be 194.5 (on paper that is).

I was using 23.5", but looking again it's more like 24.25" (at least on my tire it is today).

So if I use 24.25, the max speed comes out to be 200.7

I use a program called redline (I have a zip file if you want it, can't seem to located the creator anymore) that I plug all of the data into for "what-ifs".

Greg, sorry to be pedantic, but that wasn't an MCN video, it was for Bike magazine, part of the same publishing group, I'll grant you. I work for MCN, and I pointed out myself that the Bike video had to have had a following wind. They tested an R1 on the same day at 178mph, when it usually turns in 174mph. We tested the Hayabusa at the same venue (Bruntingthorpe proving ground, near Leicester, England) and got 193mph. It was raining, just a bit of drizzle.
We also tested it around the Nardo speed testing facility in Italy, an eight-mile bowl where you can just keep a bike pinned. It was a little blustery there and we got 194mph. There's a full discussion on the actual and claimed top speeds we've seen at my site,
http://members.tripod.com/Suzuki_Hayabusa
there's a link back to this site

i love pedantic
i should have knownt that
afterall, i'm one of the few americans who receives (each and every month)
BIKE
FAST BIKES
PERFORMANCE BIKES
SUPERBIKE
RIDE

crazy, huh?

i love the british rags the best

greg

Back