Scams getting smarter

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Hope it is not only me, but the amount of scams and their ability to almost trick one are increasing.

The one I get every day:

“Your Google listing needs to be verified. It has been flagged for review and may be suspended”

Then this:

Then occasionally I would get an invoice, for a charge from one of the vendors I use, such as my web hosting company, even sometimes one of my suppliers. And it would say it has either been charged to my credit card or my PayPal. It will always give a number to call, should one need more information.

They got as far as getting into the systems one of our big business suppliers, with which we do more than a couple of $100k business a year. A new online order portal with a discount for cash ACH payment. Almost got caught with that one, took a couple of weeks for the supplier to figure out someone was pretending to represent their company.

The world we live in today.

Last edited:
No doubt scammers are getting smarter. We're always told at work to never click on a link or even respond to anything if we don't recognize the sender. Our instructions are to send all suspicious emails to our IT department for them to figure out the authenticity. We have a phishing portal we send everything to.
What's fun is getting the occasional email at home or work where the sender is representing to be a well known company but the company name is mis-spelled, or the return email address is obviously not a company email address but likely some place out of the US.
Spam calls and robo calls are on the rise too, at least for me.

No doubt scammers are getting smarter. We're always told at work to never click on a link or even respond to anything if we don't recognize the sender. Our instructions are to send all suspicious emails to our IT department for them to figure out the authenticity. We have a phishing portal we send everything to.
What's fun is getting the occasional email at home or work where the sender is representing to be a well known company but the company name is mis-spelled, or the return email address is obviously not a company email address but likely some place out of the US.
Spam calls and robo calls are on the rise too, at least for me.
The one I have fun with, is they call me and ask to confirm my name. I always reply with either Bob Smart, or Jesus and they seem to know to hang up with a few cuss words thrown in.

Scams are growing since they make a lot of money. The rise of the internet has made it easier to collect and sell information, and for scammers to reach large numbers of people.
Imagine a fisherman whose been handed a huge net for free.

Scams are growing since they make a lot of money. The rise of the internet has made it easier to collect and sell information, and for scammers to reach large numbers of people.
Imagine a fisherman whose been handed a huge net for free.
Hi. Friend just got hit on his pay pal acount for over $5000.00. He had pay pal acount linker to all of him banking. Took over 8 weeks to get his money back. It looks like fraude is mostly on line. So lets put all of our banking on line and use all digital money. I wanr to stay with cash.

Back