Saving Money

ditchdr

Registered
Ok folks,, what are some ways you save money? Money is tight around here, we still have enough to pay the bills with a little left over for unforseen things.. So far we have

Cut out the going out to dinner

I switched ot Grizly snuff, from Kodiak. (little over 3 dollars a can saved)

Trips to anywhere are used as a multi teak trip. Dont go to the store unless there is more then one thing we need, unless it is a emergency.

Marloboro has given way to Doral for Jessica.

We buy meat at Costco in bulk. So far it has saved us a big chunk, and we eat like kings.

No more sodas, we make tea, I like unsweet, Jess has ot have some sugar.

buy as much as possable from the Dollar Genreal. Like deordant, soap, shampoo, tooth paste etc. Same name brand stuff as at the grocery store, but usualy 1 to 2 bucks cheaper.

Only fill the trucks or bike all the way up. 10 dollars here and there adds up real fast.

I take the bike at all times unless I have to drive the truck.

We go to free parks instead of the water parks and theam(sp) parks. jake is 2 he enjoys just being out side.

Family time is spent watching DVD's and not going to the theater.

With all the saved money we paid off 2 of the 3 credit cards and closed out the accounts. the 3rd will be paid off this month..

Just by doing this we save almost 1800 a month. I had no idea we were droping that much cash on entertainment, and credit cards.. Even tho I am not working a "real" job I still bring home around 600 a week working on bikes part time. Jess makes almost twice that with the day care. With a lot of prayers and luck i will be working for the FD soon and we will save even more money cause I will get free insurance, and I can spend more time on building the metal polishing and powder coating business up and running.. But for the time being it will be bikes till 3 then Applebees till 11 or 12 at night.

It's amazing how cutting back can end up giving you more, like more family time and such.
smile.gif

I'm cutting non-essentials that many take for granted:
NO cable/stellite/direcTV - saves $40 -$80. I don't watch much "TV"
Eliminating my home land phone cuz I rarely use it and getting a computer IP Phone number, I don't have a cell phone anymore [I think ahead and make plans] IP phone: $30 a year, home phone $30 a month

Good on ya. The thing which kills me the most is when people use credit for entertainment. Amazing. Well, I've done that before. It's just stupid.

That doesn't mean that when I use my credit card to pay for dinner that I'm going into debt for it. We pay that thing off every month and if we don't have the cash to pay it off, we don't use it.

Years ago, someone told me that the only three things we should ever buy on credit are our house, car and education. Everything else is cash only, thank you very much.

Years later, someone else told me, only pay cash for your car and if you can't afford new, buy used. Later, someone else told me to never buy new 'cause it costs too much. So, now I don't have debt for a car.

Education? I pay my way when I'm in classes. I don't want to graduate in the hole. Somehow it just doesn't sound right to me.

As for the house? I still think it's okay to be in debt for a house, however, it pays to be smart about how you buy it. I don't think any of the "creative financing" options are available any more. Thank the stars. People were buying just because credit was easy, prices went up as a result and then, when people could no longer afford their upward-adjusting mortgage payments, the bottom finally fell out. Prices are dropping to more normal or even below normal levels. But you better have good credit if you're going to get a loan to buy one of those houses. Some debt is better than others.

My wife and I spend the majority of our entertainment money on gas and maint for the motorcycles. Movies? Haven't been in a while and we used to be addicts. DVD's, same thing. The collection is stagnating! Dinner out? Only on special occasions and lunches when we're out on the bikes. No travel, really, unless it's on the bikes. I quit smoking, we don't buy a lot of alcohol but we're pretty stocked already.

Etc.

The only other thing I would get rid of would be cable t.v. We don't have any of the premium channels but the bill is still $50 or so a month. $300 a year which is at least two tires for the back of the Busa which will last me 7 to 9 months.

Nice post, Doc!

--Wag--

Oh, and put all the extra cash in savings! That's the whole point, isn't it?

--Wag--

We still have the cable, Jess runs a day care out of the house and says she "needs" it. Our internet is through the phone line "dsl" but its only 45 a month,so its not to bad. The credit card debt was killing us. I will be so glad when the last one is paid off, it is locked in the safe right now and is not to be used.. I am trying to sell the big truck (Ram 1500) so that will save us 420 a month on truck payments. The payment on the condo is pretty low as we are buying it from my mom, 527.27 and will be paid off in 10 years if we only pay that much. How ever I am going to throw as much money as i can at it once we got the credit card paid off and the truck sold. Would be nice to have this place piad off in 3 to 4 years.

The biggest hit was when I was laid off from my job. We were living high on the hog and got a good reality check when that happend. Figure between the 2 of us we had income of over 130K a year. In a way I am kind of glad of it, but in others it really sucks.

Doing what I can!!! Ride the bike as much as possible. Try to do everything in one trip. Go to the public gym instead of the high line gym. Work overtime when availiable!!! Rented a room out to my brother!!! Still want to kill him!!!

Things are tuff all around right now...you are not alone by any means...glad you are finding ways to get by...just keep doing all you can do, keep ya head up and the prayers going...
thumb_up.gif

I have money coming out of my check every pay check and it is sent to our credit union. which i dont have access to unless i call them, so i can't just goto an atm and pull money out of it which is good. We have been cutting back on going out for dinner. We bring our lunch to work also. Sounds like your doing a good job at cutting back.

We still have the cable, Jess runs a day care out of the house and says she "needs" it. Our internet is through the phone line "dsl" but its only 45 a month,so its not to bad. The credit card debt was killing us. I will be so glad when the last one is paid off, it is locked in the safe right now and is not to be used.. I am trying to sell the big truck (Ram 1500) so that will save us 420 a month on truck payments. The payment on the condo is pretty low as we are buying it from my mom, 527.27 and will be paid off in 10 years if we only pay that much. How ever I am going to throw as much money as i can at it once we got the credit card paid off and the truck sold. Would be nice to have this place piad off in 3 to 4 years.

The biggest hit was when I was laid off from my job. We were living high on the hog and got a good reality check when that happend. Figure between the 2 of us we had income of over 130K a year. In a way I am kind of glad of it, but in others it really sucks.
Have you considered going to your bank and getting a loan to cover those in a lump sum. Pay them off and cut them up. It might be worth a shot, I am sure a consolidation loan with some kind of collateral would be a better intrest rate then what your paying now.

Oh and one more you may not have thought of I think if you added up you would be suprised. Have you guys considered quitting chewing and smoking? Hell I think money is the main reason I would not do it.

Oh, and remember to keep funding your retirement as much as you can. 401(k) is worthwhile, in spite of the potential problems it can have.

--Wag--

my private 401K has a little over 400K in it, was over 600K a few years ago. I have my state retirement fund with almost 300K in it as well.. I would like to put more into my 401 right now, but were doing all we can to get debt free in the next 5 years. If i get on with the FD I can build more on state retirement, and in 10 years be able ot fully retire. What the plans are is to retire at 42 from public service with the option of going back. Kind of drawing 2 checks. If i am a line officer or better I will do that. If not I will then be able to run the polishing/powder coating shop full time. if i do go back I will get out of it at age 50. Dont get me wrong we are not "broke" , but we are tired of spending money, and want to be debt free. Once we get back on our feet we will be fine. Also from now on the only thing we will make payments on is is a new home. No buying brand new cars, used cars with cash only, and of course my bike addiction lol..

my private 401K has a little over 400K in it, was over 600K a few years ago. I have my state retirement fund with almost 300K in it as well.. I would like to put more into my 401 right now, but were doing all we can to get debt free in the next 5 years. If i get on with the FD I can build more on state retirement, and in 10 years be able ot fully retire. What the plans are is to retire at 42 from public service with the option of going back. Kind of drawing 2 checks. If i am a line officer or better I will do that. If not I will then be able to run the polishing/powder coating shop full time. if i do go back I will get out of it at age 50. Dont get me wrong we are not "broke" , but we are tired of spending money, and want to be debt free. Once we get back on our feet we will be fine. Also from now on the only thing we will make payments on is is a new home. No buying brand new cars, used cars with cash only, and of course my bike addiction lol..
Fully agree with your plan. Doing the same. Just paid off the landscaper and Lowe's for the counters. $6,000.
wowold.gif

Have a total of $3900.00 right now not including the house. Should be fine by election time.

Debt free! For how long? Who knows.
laugh.gif

r8

I have a feeling this upcoming election is what has the country so messed up right now.
Big part of it. Large business is skeptical. Savings and loans created the biggest mess.

And to think some mention bailing them out! Even McCain.

Well, off topic so back to the thread.
winkold.gif

r8

We hardly save at all and have a good amount of debt, cars, bike, house, CC's 2 kids etc....poor planning I know, the way I see it, as long as I have health and my job to pay the bills, I'm livin life. I do take comfort in knowing my retirement is secure although when I get there 1 day.

Back