Saturday on the Dragon

NCBusaRider

Registered
After getting together with some friends in the area I finally got up to the Dragon Saturday. Things were going great to start with until myself and a friend find ourselves directly behind a large white van of some type. We were just enjoying the day and it was the first run so we were holding back and taking our time.

Just after mile 9 a Harley took the curve wide and because I was directly behind and to the left of this van I watched the poor guy hit head on and after the most intense BANG I watched the guy bounce like a ragdoll, he was slammed to the pavement and the left side of his bike mangled.

We stopped traffic and although it was the most intense I have ever seen the guy was awake and lived. Took forever for the police and the medics to get there but they finally got him. Kinda put an end to the fun - after seeing that and sitting there for what seemed an eternity it seemed like a good time to put the day behind us.

I had planned to take pictues of the trip - and while I had a camera this just the last thing on my mind. Be careful out there . . . have a blast but PLEASE be safe

Glad he survived,but I'm sorry you had to witness it .

Like you ended your post with, "Everybody be safe out there. "

Glad that he survived. I don't think I would have wanted to be you and watch that.

Lets pray for a speedy recovery, glad he wasn't killed. I was first on scene of one of those in February, very sobering and makes you pause and think about the fact that life is precious. Your witnessing this event is an incredibly stressful event, take the time to talk to friends / loved ones to work through the experience. Hang in there and thanks for stopping and helping a fellow rider.
thumb_up.gif

Glad he wasn't hurt. I've had crashes happen right in front of me before, does put a damper on the day.
sad.gif

Glad he wasn't killed. Lucky. Try to shake it off. It's prolly gonna haunt you for a little bit

hate that you had to witness that but i'm glad the van was between you and the other bike, it could have been much worse...no matter how many people you see go down, each time can affect you differently...just give it some time and things will get back to normal for you
beerchug.gif

could even be 5 mph, saw a guy on a harley not paying attention and hit the back of a mini van at 5mph in heavy traffic. have fun, be aware of your surrounding, pay attention.

good to hear the guy at the dragon will be ok, we all know how the harley guys like wearing those "novelty helmets"...

hate that you had to witness that but i'm glad the van was between you and the other bike, it could have been much worse...
+ 1k, seen a few bike to bike head-on crashes on the net(thank god never anything like that in person)
please.gif
not pretty. great to hear that he'll survive and you were untouched.

you know I hate always to hear of folks getting hurt on the dragon but I was thinking. I have only been going to the dragon since 2006. Been down a few times now and when I go I usually go for 3 days. When I do, I spend almost all of my time riding the dragon back and forth. The result is that I get a great deal of practice for the amount of time I get to go each year. It seems to me that each year the dragon gets more crowded and more and more accidents occur. If you look at the websites from Tail and Deals gap it is covered with reports of this. From what I have read, the traffic has really increased over the years as the dragon popularity has increased. More and more people with less and less skill. As a result the law enforcement activity has increased dramatically as well and after looking at what has happened just so far this spring I no longer wonder why. .... I just wish folks would just take a breath and relax a little bit down there. And from my observation, sport bikes are no more or less the problem than HD riders. The problem of riding above your skill level is across the board......

Please, everyone, be safe and wear your gear!!
bowdown.gif

Back