Safety Wire

bigoltool

Registered
I was buttoning up my bike yesterday after my heated grip installation and had some time on my hands. So I decided to start safety wiring the front brakes on my bike. When I did a search on here I didn't find a dedicated link to this subjest so here goes. Past experience has shown me that if it can shake loose it will shake loose. As yet I have only done the front calipers and axle pinch bolts. But I intend to go throught the whole bike. eventually. For those who are interested I would recommend a good cobalt drill bit for this, and don't waste your time on those stupid wire winder gizmo's. A good set of Safety wire pliers is a must. If anyone has good photos of any safety wired components I would appreciate it. And for the sake of conversation I did double up on these with Loctite.

DSCN0062.JPG

I've never safety wired anything on a bike, but aren't you supposed to stagger the holes on opposing sides of the bolt head? I'm not sure it would have a great advantage over how you done it, but that's just how I've always seen it done on the net and on the race bikes I've seen in person.
rock.gif

I'm talkin' about like this. Holes drilled where the yellow dots are and the wire ran sort of like this horrible hand drawn line between them.

safetywire.jpg

I've never safety wired anything on a bike, but aren't you supposed to stagger the holes on opposing sides of the bolt head? I'm not sure it would have a great advantage over how you done it, but that's just how I've always seen it done on the net and on the race bikes I've seen in person.
rock.gif

I'm talkin' about like this. Holes drilled where the yellow dots are and the wire ran sort of like this horrible hand drawn line between them.
yes that is the best way to do it. Make sure that you wire it so you are pulling in the tightening direction.

rock.gif

Makes perfect sense to me! Good call! I am no racer so I am just going by what seemed logical. No way it is coming loose Like I have it, but if it was in tension like you are showing it would be better I am sure. I had a rear caliper some loose on me one time and back itself all the way out to the rim, luckily without any dire consequences. Since then I am loctiting and safety wiring everything!

Back