Safely gettin paid from a Craigslist ad.

I put my bike and my brothers car on there the other day and in less then 5 min we both got a text that he was buying it for a friend bla bla. I didn't even respond because I knew what it was. I have not heard anything else so hopefully he will just go away. I checked the area code from the number and it was from NY area. I guess these THUGS just troll things like CL just to see who they can get. You never know

I have bought and sold tons of stuff on eBay and craigslist with no problems. I did once go to buy a mesh jacket that turned out to be a textile jacket. I told the guy he might want to edit the listing, he changed it by the time I got home.

Probably the biggest problem i ever had was i went to a house to purchase some body work, I inadvertently left a few small parts behind. When I realized I left them I tried to call and text with no response. Next day called again and was sent to voicemail, I sent a text saying if I didn't hear from them by 5 I was coming with the police. 5 mins later got a text saying parts would be in the mail box :-)

I really really really hate dealing with people from CL. They make me want to :banghead: on very hard walls!

If you sence they are for real then ask them to send a deposit via western union. If they want it, and they want you to drive there for them to see it, either way, you get compensated. Some guy calling me to drive over 30 minutes one way is going to buy my gas for wasting my time if he doesn't buy it. Most of my transactions have turned out fine on CL. A few went south on Corvette forum but that was years ago.

If you sence they are for real then ask them to send a deposit via western union. If they want it, and they want you to drive there for them to see it, either way, you get compensated. Some guy calling me to drive over 30 minutes one way is going to buy my gas for wasting my time if he doesn't buy it. Most of my transactions have turned out fine on CL. A few went south on Corvette forum but that was years ago.

I didnt even think of western union, good idea!:thumbsup:

As mentioned before - email is no way to set up a deal. I think a short conversation on the phone and a good dose of skeptism will reveal whether a buyer or seller is for real.

Usually a suspect buyer/seller can be ferreted out in three or four good questions.

A brief conversations is worth a thousand emails.

Back