running rich at part throttle and hesitating; any luck with FI cleaners, or advice?

spotrot

Registered
After a long winter storage, my 04 began running poorly at part throttle, and really bogs at first when opening it up.

A raw gas smell and the way it acts make me think it's a fuel issue.

Carbs I can handle but I have no experience with this FI system.

Any suggestions? Have FI cleaners ever worked or are they just snake oil?

Does Gen 1 have OBD?

Re: running rich at part throttle and hesitating; any luck with FI cleaners, or advic

You can try fuel treatment. Thinking you have a stuck injector ? I'd check the plugs and battery.

Re: running rich at part throttle and hesitating; any luck with FI cleaners, or advic

have you ever replaced the fuel filter?

check the main fuel lines from the tank....at 10yrs old they need replaced....aren't that expensive and a simple safeguard since it one area you really don't want letting go whilst riding.
They may look fine from the outside but if they're easy to squeeze, they're knackered.
Fumes could also be from a clogged tank breather.
as suggested drain the tank and drop the pump/filter assembly out to make sure its 100%...likely to have a certain amount of muck in there.

OBD on the bike is mostly for code reading and setting the throttle position sensor...its under the left side of hump...just need to link out 2 pins...do a bit of research to find which ones.

Thanks to all. I'd have replied sooner but took a trip to the Baker City MC rally then to Joseph OR, Spokane, WA, Cour d'Alene and then thru Tri Cities before heading home to Boise. Great MC roads.

Now it's high time (no, I didn't buy any in WA) to get my hands dirty. If what I find is interesting or of use, I'll report back.

Back