Rotor Cleaning Question

wuggzwest

Registered
Up front I have CHROME Galfer Floating Wave Rotors and in the rear I have a POLISHED Galfer Rotor. After the first 20 miles the brakes obviously took most of that nice polished look off. Is there anything I can clean the rotor with to get the shine back for some nice photos. Id like to clean up both front and rear. Thanks for the help ladies and gents.

A shine other than a "coating" is obtained by removing the scratches in finer and finer increments.
I sand my discs when I change pads with 220 paper in a cross hatch pattern to remove the glaze.
When I polish something, I go progressively down in sandpaper size to about 2000.
The easies way is to sand as much as you can in varying increments, then get a buffing wheel on a fairly high speed drill, and get some polish compound and remove the disc and go at it.
Wash the buffing wheel as you go to each of finer compounds.
It goes real fast.

Here is a pic of the steel rear axle nut and retainer that I polished this way.

The fronts you just have to use chrome polish in a bottle.
If you buff or sand the chrome may come off.

Rear Axle clip.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm interesting, yea unfortunately I dont really have the tools or space or time to start sanding or breaking out a buffing wheel. I was hoping that some sort of polish would clean the rear polished rotor up!

Back