Requesting feedback from crash survivors-How well does textile REALLY protect??

My JR mesh held up pretty well in a low speed slide. My serious crash I was wearing a leather jacket and jeans. The leather held up pretty well, but I sure wish I'd had some armor on my right knee. Didn't need slide protection as my knee only slapped the ground, I slid on the leather.

So I consider the armor in gear just as important as what it's made of.

NONE, of the GEAR my son had on, would have saved his life.. He wore his blue Joe Rocket, Shoei helmet,and gloves, Jeans,and his Work Boots, Nothing saved him.. His Joe Rocket jacket was saturated in blood from his lung that came out of the side of his neck after slamming to the ground,from a fall about 300 ft high, his helmet was spider cracked,and his leg was broke at the knee when he hit the guardrail at 100+ mph, and flew airborne 147 feet,then dropped 300 ft to the ground,on to grass and rocky hard soil.. Feel free to see the pics.. All the gear in the world , wouldn't have saved him..But he always wore it.. Make sure you get good gear rider,and ride safe..

If one slides going high speed, textile jackets will not stay in place not because of the material durability, but because they don't usually fit tight enough. However I survuved a high impact crash with textile jacket.
For your boots, make sure they are tall enough to protect your shins.
AGATT!!
Posted via Mobile Device

I got to the first response on this thread and had to agree. I haven't felt the wrath myself (knocking on wood) but I have seen first hand.
I watched a fella fall after doing something stupid (another story) and he is rolling down the middle lane of a 3 lane interstate right in front of me throwing sparks off his buttons etc.
He had just purchased a cruise control for his TL1000, don't ask me why...
Anyway, his bike kept going down the highway doing 60mph like the headless horseman was riding it until it veered into the grassy median and pancaked itself against a bridge pillar.
The rider (we'll leave his superman riding name out for now) was wearing as textile jacket (which I have a few of myself) and was scuffed pretty bad under the jacket.
The sleeve rode up his arms and left them bare and the waist line worked it's way up his back and stomach and got quite a bit of road rash all around.
I think they offer decent protection, but would have to be work with all the ties and belts etc tight to work properly in an accident. The textile itself might not last long in a slide, but the armor holds up ok.

BTW, I might as well say what he was doing...he figures since he installed this new cruise control module that he can all of a sudden learn how to do the Superman and stand on his seat at 60 mph down the highway. :poke: You can guess the rest.

Last edited:
I have had a couple of wrecks with textile and ballistic jeans. And got rashed up. Nowadays I just don't see the point a having a jacket/jeans that are good only once and that once is a maybe at best! Go ahead and get the leathers and save yourself some money and skin and of course some peace of mind:thumbsup:

Back