Replacing Grips

Elsboss

Registered
You might expect anyone who can't find the "search" area to be asking about replacing grips but...

I know the obvious with replacing grips just wanted to know if there are any shortcuts or methods to help save the push/pull and sweat. Better to cut or peel the old grips off? Any recommended methods with the on/off would be appreciated.

Elliot

just installed heli barsa two weeks ago they recomended smallscrewdriver under the grip , pour rubbing alcohol between the grip and bar , work grip back and forth till it comes off . this works realy nice and doesnt destroy the grip , in fact if you blow the grip out with an air hose it will slide right back on with no grip glue needed , it realy cut down on the elbow grease , and was well worth the special trip to the store to pick it up ! good luck hope i replied in time ?
biggrin.gif

just installed heli barsa two weeks ago they recomended smallscrewdriver under the grip , pour rubbing alcohol between the grip and bar , work grip back and forth till it comes off . this works realy nice and doesnt destroy the grip , in fact if you blow the grip out with an air hose it will slide right back on with no grip glue needed , it realy cut down on the elbow grease , and was well worth the special trip to the store to pick it up ! good luck hope i replied in time ?
biggrin.gif
What he said. Option number two for installation would be hair spray.

good luck , if the new grips twist when you put them on let them sit for like fifteen minutes if they still twist after that get some grip glue , any cycle shop should carry it , they use it on dirt bikes adn jet skis too, so that type of shop would carry it also.

Alcohol trick worked great coming off. There was quite a bit of glue on the left grip. Both new grips went on fine and don't slip or twist.

Couldn't resist those Harris 'Busa grips. Carbon fiber pattern with the red "Busa" on them. Should be good for at least another 20 hp eh?
wink.gif

Elliot

I've had the same grips on mine for a couple years now. Used alcohol and they have never moved. Did you manage to work the throttle side on completely? It's a bit of work but they do fit perfectly, even over the flange on the inner side of the plastic throttle tube. I've have seen several people not work that flange into the recess thinking it won't fit, but it will with a little effort.

If you don't care about the original grips...run a razor up the center of them and just cut em off....I also recommend using hairspray or clear coat to slide the new grips on....this allows them to slide on when the hairspray/clear coat is wet and once it dries it acts like a glue....very easy....oh, make sure you take the bar ends off as well....and I suggest replacing those while your at it....

Have the Harris grips as well, love em with the Harris matching tank pad....

Back