Removing wheel bearings, swingarm, hub

Ball Z Motorsports

Site Sponsor
Registered
Sending wheels, swingarm, and rear hub off for chroming.

Chromer said they can beat them out of wheels for $50 but would not be reusable....

Bike shop said to replace them anyway???

I know there is a way to save these parts for reassembly.

I have a small butane torch and tools....was thinking of finding a pipe of some sort to fit each application and beating them out???

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, I'M HOPING TO SHIP THE PARTS OUT ON MONDAY?

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME IN ADVANCE FELLAS!

JOSH
816-370-3334

P.S. HELP AND I'LL HOOK YOU UP IF YOU NEED ANY PARTS!

bump.gif

I think most folks looking to reuse their bearings use a press to get these out! But, I think honestly if you take your time the bearings can be re-used. The shop is going to do just as you suggested... Hammer (maybe a slide) screwdriver or punch and hope not to gall up the spacer! If that happens I think most folks just take a dremmel and smooth things back up. Couple of questions I'd be asking myself... How many miles and how old is your bike? If there are any second thoughts on the answer to these two questions spend the $$ as an insurance policy on new bearings! Motion Pro and a few others do sell bearing removal tools but I'm sure you can do this yourself without them.

Josh,I dont think you can remove the bearings (especially the wheel bearings) without messing them up.Maybe with the swingarm using a press,kinda doubt it though.

Thanks fellas....I think I will replace the wheel bearings like ks-waterbug said insurance....

I'm going to see if I can save the Hub bearings? Look to be less difficult to remove?

We'll just see on the swingarm?

question:

When they plate the wheels without the bearings will there be a coating left making the new bearings difficult to install?

If so..maybe leave them in to protect the bearing race?

Just a thought.

hogger...

The wheel bearings can be reused, however the safest way to remove them is a blind bearing puller like this one.

link

<!--EDIT|GIXERHP
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152378026 -->

question:

When they plate the wheels without the bearings will there be a coating left making the new bearings difficult to install?

Just a thought.

hogger...
Maybe so??? The chromers like them removed....I think that if I was to beat them out after chroming it would possibly chip the chrome?

Hogger you should have a email with pictures of the parts you requested...

Thanks Josh

The wheel bearings can be reused, however the safest way to remove them is a blind bearing puller like this one.

link
Looks like something I need.....but from a vendor in the US

I have decided to replace these wheel bearings anyway just to be safe......

But I would like the bearing puller for future use.....when I send off lower mileage wheels....these have 5600 miles on them.

Thanks Josh

question:

Just a thought.

hogger...
Maybe so??? The chromers like them removed....I think that if I was to beat them out after chroming it would possibly chip the chrome?

Hogger you should have a email with pictures of the parts you requested...

Thanks Josh
got them..really thinking about the tank Josh.

hogger...

A quality chromer wont want to put bearings in his tanks for fear there is any grease left in them.

Bearing can be re-used,but I never do.

I always replace stock bearings with an aftermarket bearings that are sealed both sides,unlike the stockers whick are sealed only on one side.

I always take the seals off the new bearings,clean out that cheap grease most manufactures use,and install my own quality grease.You always want to look inside a new bearing regardless,sometimes factories fug up and send them out dry.

Put a good amount of new grease in them,but dont fill them up.Leave room for heat expansion,so the seals don't blow off.

RSD.

A quality chromer wont want to put bearings in his tanks for fear there is any grease left in them.

Bearing can be re-used,but I never do.

I always replace stock bearings with an aftermarket bearings that are sealed both sides,unlike the stockers whick are sealed only on one side.

I always take the seals off the new bearings,clean out that cheap grease most manufactures use,and install my own quality grease.You always want to look inside a new bearing regardless,sometimes factories fug up and send them out dry.

Put a good amount of new grease in them,but dont fill them up.Leave room for heat expansion,so the seals don't blow off.

RSD.
Thanks that is some good info rubbersidedown, I appreciate it.

Also a board member told me if I heat up the area around the bearing they should come right out with a punch.

When reinstalling them he said to put the bearings in the freezer then heat up the area around the bearings and they should go right in to place.
biggrin.gif

I'm not much of a metal man..... but heat expands metal and cold contracts it.

Thanks to the member that gave me this info also, I'll keep him anonymous
bowdown.gif

Back