removing fuel filter

fastphil73

Registered
Ok found the problem with my 2000. Had the same problem as many others on here with rough idle and hesitation at low rpms. Removed the fuel pump after running fuel injector cleaner through it and letting it soak for a couple of days. Found that the fuel pump was so old it looked to be breaking apart. Found lots of dirt and so forth in the compartment with fuel filter. Cleaned the screens and wow what a mess. My question is this, I have had several high performance bikes before with built motors and so on that ran the fuel filter in line. Has anyone tried this on the 99 and 2000 busas. I was going to put a filter on the main line and the return line just to be safe. In theory it should be the same but the filter will be before the fuel pump instead of after. I was also going to remove the screens on the injectors. This would leave the screen in the tank and the one on the fuel pump to catch anything the in line filters did not. What do you guys think, should work right?

I run an inline filter on my 2000, I pulled everything but the injector screens. No problems except I lost the springs that cover the fuel line, and I'm having issues with the line kinking. Easily solved though......

That sounds like a good mod to have. New category of mods: Maintenance mods.

--Wag--

Mr Brown I saw those springs at an napa store the other day. They were in the cart where they cut the hoses off the rolls for customers. By the way, are you running a filter on both lines from the tank. I know it sounds like overkill but better safe than sorry.

This mod does sound up my alley. I've done so much after my ....ahhh .... highway yardsale.
I cann't seem to get it tunned right.
That and there doesn't seem to be a map for the HMF Dual High mount pipes.

(busajedi1 @ Oct. 24 2006,15:59) This mod does sound up my alley. I've done so much after my ....ahhh .... highway yardsale.
Found a HMF map in my library...........let me know how it works out. Check your email.

Did the mod now the fuel pump is shot. Go Figure!!! First decent weather in weeks and I have to take out the wifes gsxr 750. Cant find a used pump right now and new ones are overpriced. What about aftermarket pump. Dont want one for extra hp just reliability.

(GPW @ Oct. 24 2006,18:40)
(busajedi1 @ Oct. 24 2006,15:59) This mod does sound up my alley. I've done so much after my ....ahhh .... highway yardsale.
Found a HMF map in my library...........let me know how it works out. Check your email.
I thank you many times over. going to load it up now. Being hallween, I'll wait till tomorrow. Don't want to be fooling around in the street with all the kids out.
super.gif

been thinking about switching from the 99-00 set up to a 01 and up tank. Any one on here done this before. Not switching harness and everything just putting newer tank and pump and splicing my harness to fit. If anyone has done could you offer any pointers such as wiring etc.

(fastphil73 @ Oct. 23 2006,18:01) Mr Brown I saw those springs at an napa store the other day.  They were in the cart where they cut the hoses off the rolls for customers.  By the way, are you running a filter on both lines from the tank.  I know it sounds like overkill but better safe than sorry.
Nah, just on the one. The other one is a return line. I see no reason to filter it twice......
Thanks for the heads up on the springs
beerchug.gif

Back