Removable Water bottle Holder..might actually work!

efiguero

Registered
So some of you are probably gonna get a kick out of this and make fun of me, but dang it I get thirsty riding down here in Hot as hell Texas! So anyhow, here is the deal, out of my circle of friends I am the only one that rides a sportbike. The rest of my buddies ride Harleys and are always nagging me about getting one. I don't want one, if I get another bike it is gonna be a BMW R1200GS Adventure or the new Triumph Tiger Explorer, but that will be in addition to my busa (Wishful Thinking). Anyhow, these guys have their little cup holders and such and at lights or filling up take little sips here and there and I am jealous because my water bottle is stuck in my oven of a truck boiling. Even then if I want to sip some of my hot water, I then have to get off the bike, turn it off, open the trunk take a drink and then put everything back and so on.

The other day surfing through Woot, I saw they were selling a 32 Ounce Bottle tote made of neoprene for a mere $3.00, plus $5 shipping (I was ordering other things so the shipping was not a big deal). I figured with some velcro I could fasten it to the inside of my double bubble windshield so it would be removable. Not that I ever scrunch down enough to where I actually use my windshield to look through cause I don't really fit (6'1 and 250 lbs.). So I bought some Scotch All Weater Fastners which are like clear plastic velcro and modded the tote a little my removing a strap it had to attach to a belt or something, and voilà a bottle holder. I can still see all the gauges and it does not interfere with my steering. I can fit my camelbak water bottle in there and it fits perfect. If I want to remove it I can, and the velcro is clear so it is not really noticeable. So I'll have to let you guys know how well it actually works in the real world, but so far I think it should be fine. I will probably sew the velcro portion that is on the bottle tote because I am not sure how well the adhesive will adhere to the neoprene. However the adhesive and strips hold a total of 8 pounds per inch of strip, so I don't think it will come off easily, it's on there good and sturdy.
So now when I get to a stop or a gas station I can pull it out take a quick drink and put it right back (I use a modular helmet so I can open my helmet up really quick. I figured I would share just in case anyone might find the info useful.

P1070478-rev-208x300.jpg

52279bc1-921f-4f67-929f-470c70b59fa3.png

7082a23e-595f-478d-9023-cafee8736308.png

7213C855-8E50-455C-BEE6-48D1D005D12D-4891-0000080087B47E06.jpg

7EBB5C4B-1ABB-48BA-8969-BF57F409A8CC-4891-000008008253E992.jpg

Did you think of using a thin camleback under your jacket. If you fill it full of Ice you can drink it as it melts and the coolness coming off it will keep you body temp down. I just think a full water bottle is a little bit heavy for just velcro.

Good idea though

Yeah I have thought about the camelbaks, but I already feel stuffed wearing my jacket and reflective vest, don't want to add to it. Also, this cost me less than $10 really, a camelbak is way more than that, lol. The All Weather strips are supposed to hold at least 2 pounds an inch not to exceed 8 pounds and according to google 32 ounces of water weighs around 2 pounds. I have 8 strips holding it on (One for each side, so it is 4 pairs.). So I think it should hold pretty well, It is not your normal velcro, it is like plastic and it locks on really tight. Anyhow, we will see, if it falls all, hopefully it will be on a straighway....:please:

Did you think of using a thin camleback under your jacket?

BINGO. I have a jacket with a compartment specifically for the Camelback water bladder...this plus a modular helmet and I was hydrating while I was riding :thumbsup:

Brother, you are not the only one trying to find an attractive way to mount/make a holder and then keep it cool. Good idea...whatever works.

It looks good..and works..
To bad u didnt have a hose coming out of the bottle that way u would not have to remove the bottle..just an idea..

Another idea that I have done, get a Camelback or other such hydration system and stick it in a tank bag. Then just run the hose out of the bag.
Most of them have clips on the hoses so you can just clip it to the bag to keep it from flopping around.
Plus the hose still works fine with a full face helmet.

Yeah I agree the camel back is the way to go, whether you attach it to your back, tank bag or run a custom long hose from your trunk hump. I just think the sun is gonna bake that glue and it is going to come off 1 day when your riding at a high rate of speed and and become a distraction or smack you in the face or something.

Very interesting Kromdom!! It definitely has potential. I like the 'Camelback in the tank bag' idea for long trips, but it would be nice to have something like this for those rides that only last an hour or two.

The only problem I see with his setup is the tape sticking to the neoprene. It will come off eventually!!!

The only problem I see with his setup is the tape sticking to the neoprene. It will come off eventually!!!
I agree, and will most likely try and sew the strips to the holder. I think that is really the only weak link, but the teeth gripping is super tough, and the adhesive used for this stuff is made to be weatherproof and so far the stuff is sticking pretty dang good. It's been in the Texas heat and nothing yet and it is still holding really good. It can also be used as a little pouch when not using it with a water bottle. Keep in mind that I don't have it on there all the time, only when I am going on a long days ride and I want to bring along my water bottle. For quick daily errands and stuff, I just remove the holder and stash it in the trunk. Only time will tell if it is gonna come off, and I doubt all 4 strips will give at once, so if I notice it coming off I will stop and deal with it.

I was checking woot today and they have the bottle sleeves on there again, this time for $2, just in case anyone was interested. I rode 150 miles today and no issues, the sleeve stayed put with my water bottle in it. Anyhow, here is the link.
32-Ounce Bottle Tote

wonder if you could buy this separate and stick it in your tank bag :laugh:

whoops they have one that goes on the motorcycle tank :laugh:

Shuttle hydration.jpg

Although those bungee cords won't fly with Busa owner:whistle:

Shuttle hydration.jpg

Back