Rear sprocket cushions

jwcfbd

Administrator
Donating Member
Registered
I post this in common questions but no responses. It is that only a few saw it or doen't anyone know? Anyway the other day I cleaned up my bike and noticed that there is some play in the cush drive and I can't find any info saying how much if any is ok. I need to replace the sprockets and chain so I will replace the cushions as well if needed but is this normal?

Dude, I have noticed my 2001 with the same play. Really did not think a lot about it until I purchased a 2003 rim and hub off a guy with less then 500 miles on it. The difference was amazing. I can't tell the difference when riding the bike between the two yet, but I'm convinced these do wear out and need to be replaced from time to time.

2001 - hub falls right into place with play (12,000 miles)
2003 - hub is kind of a bitch just to get on (500 miles)
rock.gif

Cache, makes good sense to me!
idea.gif
Attached a copy of service manual.

Dude, hope your feeling better, man. I'll check your list when you get through the bike. Have a few parts laying around.
smile.gif

cush.jpg

B.G. thanks for your support.

Jim, tip when installing wheel dampers.... IF it is hard to get the nipple all the way in the hole, spray a tiny bit of silicone lube in the hole. They will go in sOOoooo much easier.

The guys are correct. When you start getting play it takes it tool on the chain and front sprocket. The back sprocket does not go as much because it is moving. All in all cheap to fix or more expensive later. Nice follow up guys.

Going to replace chain soon, sprockets look fine. (Yes I know you usually replace them all together, but no noticable wear on the sprocket teeth) Thanks for the tip!

That's what I thought. Thanks guys I will replace them. Hey Cache are you sure I shouldn't use KY jelly instead?
laugh.gif

Back