Rear spring preload

LuapSouthFlorida

Registered
Howdy guys, I noticed a very plush amount of sag when I mount my trusty steed, which leads me to believe my preload may need some adjustment.
I'm a very thin and sexy 225lbs :banana:, 230 kitted up for a ride, and when wife hops on there's another 135lbs
How do you go about setting up preload? Is it by sag in inches? I'm solo 95% of the time, and not a lot of twisties in South Florida. The bike is lowered both ends and stretched 4" if that's a factor.
Also I didn't get the tool kit with the bike. Does the gen3 come with one, and if so does it include the handy dandy shock spanner? I may have to visit the local dealer and acquire one somehow

FB_IMG_1670171675425.jpg

The 4" stretch IS a factor.
The gf on the back Does make a difference, but for occasional rides only, just add one psi to the rear tire before(unless this puts you over 42psi hot).
Stock wheelbase, general range,
30-35mm of sag for a road course track(as they are usually smooth and prepped)
35-40mm of sag for street, to absorb more shock of rougher conditions.
I set suspension for stock wheelbase bikes, for cornering and all around handling.
For a stretched bike, it's the same, only different, lol, you may/may not need a heavier spring, as the extra length of the arm makes it easier to compress the spring.
Your setup, and being in FL, you need to look for somewhere that specializes in roll racing, as those guys have figured out how to make a stretched bike ride, and hook, on road conditions like you ride daily.
If you bought a complete aftermarket rear shock, with a knob to turn and add/remove preload, that would also make a difference, and when riding a passenger, especially with the stretch.
If you can adjust preload on the fly(vs with 2 spanner wrenches), it makes setting up any type of suspension easier.
Adding preload for a passenger is correcting the sag and improving the ride, but, only within the spring's weight range, which again, may need swapped for a heavier one with the stretch.
But, being able to turn a knob near the passenger peg when she gets on, is a good bandaid for a better ride, and much better than what you have now.
Front and rear suspension also directly effect one another.
If you are much over 200lbs in gear, then you need heavier fork springs.
Good fork setup makes a huge difference no matter what riding application.

Also I didn't get the tool kit with the bike. Does the gen3 come with one, and if so does it include the handy dandy shock spanner? I may have to visit the local dealer and acquire one somehow

@c10 explained that there is not room for a shock spanner and recommended a brass punch. This one is from Motion Pro. A blow hammer or as I have, a small sledge works. It was a lot of work to make a moderate adjustment and the punch needs to be sharpened after one adjustment.

tools_cropped3-jpg.jpg

The tank prop rod is an OEM accessory. It was the liter bike part then was added to the busa gen 2 and now the gen 3:

Back