Rear Laser Safety Light - Anyone Seen These Before?

I have seen those before and I believe there was discussion around the legality of them. I think it comes down to where you live and how picky the local law enforcement is if I'm remembering correctly.

That being said, I think they are very cool. The first one is my favorite.

You'll get ticketed for that in just about every jurisdiction you can complacent and even the ones you can't. Cool but actually a good way to get hit by distracting drivers.

Just use a Signal Dynamics Back OFF module, those have been around for many years.

Definitely a good point about being a distraction and end up in an accident, especially considering you don't see them on the road now. I'll stick with the Smart Triple Play for safety since it incorporates your signals as brake and running lights and has 10 different brake light patterns to catch people's attention.

You can order them on Geek or Wish shopping of about 2.00

The key is to only use them when you need them...

You'll get ticketed for that in just about every jurisdiction you can complacent and even the ones you can't.

What would the charge be?

Still not convinced...

RCW 9A.49.030
Unlawful discharge of a laser in the second degree.

(1) A person is guilty of unlawful discharge of a laser in the second degree if he or she knowingly and maliciously discharges a laser, under circumstances not amounting to unlawful discharge of a laser in the first degree or malicious mischief in the first or second degree:
(a) At a person, not described in RCW 9A.49.020(1) (a) through (f), who is operating a motor vehicle at the time, causing an impairment of the safety or operation of a motor vehicle by negatively affecting the driver; or
(b) At a person described in RCW 9A.49.020(1) (b) through (f), causing a substantial risk of an impairment or interruption as described in RCW 9A.49.020(1) (b) through (f); or
(c) At a person in order to intimidate or threaten that person.
(2) Except as provided in RCW 9A.49.040, unlawful discharge of a laser in the second degree is a gross misdemeanor.

the key is this... That laser points down towards the road to make a line or pattern using a prism from the lense. They when fog or rain enters the beam the light is shown and whammo you have the light patterns in the air. The laws above are all about "At a person" which this device is not intended to do. You could replace laser with exhaust right, you arent supposed to put your exhaust in someones window at the stoplight either. Sounds silly but that's the law, no different than using good care in how you install and direct the light.

WAC 204-21-230
Lighting equipment prohibited.

(1) The addition of a lamp, reflective device or other motor vehicle equipment must not impair the effectiveness of lighting equipment required by 49 C.F.R. Part 571.108 or chapter 46.37 RCW.
(a) If a vehicle is in motion on a public roadway, the vehicle must not:
(i) Display aftermarket neon lighting devices.
(ii) Combine any type of letter, number, sign, symbol or combination thereof with an eye level brake light meeting the standards of 49 C.F.R. Part 571.108 (FMVSS 108). No function other than red reflex reflectors will be combined in eye level brake lights.
(iii) Have a lighted or electrically/mechanically powered sign or message board enabling change or movement of any displayed message to be displayed or affixed to the vehicle. Except:
(A) Vehicles that are used in conjunction with officially sanctioned or sponsored motor vehicle traffic control or movement may display lighted or electrically powered signs to assist in the efficient control of traffic movement on public roadways. The signs must be designed, worded, and located to limit misinterpretation and confusion by the motoring public.
(B) Electric signs may be unitized to identify taxicabs and the destinations of mass transportation vehicles. These signs must not contain any commercial or personal message and must be designed, worded, and located so that it is clearly differentiated from other required motor vehicle lights.
(b) If a vehicle is not in motion and parked on private property, the vehicle may use aftermarket lighting except as outlined under RCW 46.37.180.
(c) This section is not intended to prohibit a scrolling sign provided that the scrolling sign must:
(i) Be powered by an external source or in a manner which does not cause the required equipment on the vehicle to be out of compliance with 49 C.F.R. Part 571, chapter 46.37 RCW or Title 204 WAC.
(ii) Not be lit.
(iii) Not have continual motion.
(2) Pursuant to Title 49 C.F.R. Part 571.108, the addition of an aftermarket style ornament or other feature such as tinted plastic glass covers, a grille or slotted covers must not be placed in front of the headlamp lens, or in front of any other lighting devices installed on motor vehicles which impair the effectiveness of lighting equipment required under 49 C.F.R. Part 571.108 (FMVSS 108) or chapter 46.37RCW. Except:
(a) Clear aftermarket headlamp covers.
(b) Headlamp wipers may be used in front of the lens provided that the headlamp system is designed to conform to all applicable photometric requirements in 49 C.F.R. Part 571.108 (FMVSS 108) with the wiper stopped in any position in front of the lens.
(c) A bike rack may be installed on the front of a municipal transit vehicle (as defined under RCW 46.04.355) provided that even with the bike rack installed, loaded or unloaded with bicycles, the headlight system still conforms with all applicable photometric requirements in 49 C.F.R. Part 571.108 (FMVSS 108).
(3) Red emergency lights are prohibited on any vehicle other than an authorized emergency vehicle, a law enforcement vehicle, an emergency tow truck as defined in WAC 204-21-020(8), school buses, and private carrier buses.
(4) Blue lights are prohibited on any vehicle other than a law enforcement vehicle as defined in WAC 204-21-020.
(5) Flashing white lights are prohibited on any vehicle other than authorized emergency vehicles, law enforcement vehicles, school buses, and emergency tow trucks as defined in WAC 204-21-020.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.37.005 and 46.37.320. WSR 15-16-124, § 204-21-230, filed 8/5/15, effective 9/5/15; WSR 08-19-104, § 204-21-230, filed 9/17/08, effective 10/18/08.]

This law refers to letters, signs and neon but never mentions lasers... It speaks to flashing lights and what color lights but that's it... Most of what is called out here is covering over the factory lights that are already there... you can't cover them up!

That's how I read it!

You cant use those things you will get a ticket for sure, I have seen the cops give tickets for having flashing LED lights on at night while moving

You cant use those things you will get a ticket for sure, I have seen the cops give tickets for having flashing LED lights on at night while moving

Flashing LEDs would be covered in the statutes above... Show me the law that says you can't...

B also states that after market lights my be used while parked , So with that being said the reverse would be true

Common sense should prevail...Think about it like this...You have a 70 year old individual behind you....you have your dumb laser going......what are the chances of startling or side tracking them? Same situation this time young teen driver....ooooo thats cool etc etc smash...so cool they didnt pay any attention to you...which was the point behind it to begin with?!

Still not convinced...This law refers to letters, signs and neon but never mentions lasers... It speaks to flashing lights and what color lights but that's it... Most of what is called out here is covering over the factory lights that are already there... you can't cover them up!

That's how I read it!

Put one on your ride and you will get a ticket, you will also lose in court, guaranteed.
You may also cause an accident as that would be a serious distraction...

There isn't a laser flinging wildly in the air. There is a lense over the laser that effects the beam into a pattern in my case a single line right on the ground behind the car. Only in fog or rain can you even see the beam in the air and it only enhances the ability to see the car. I know it sounds like there is a .50 caliber rifle bouncing around on the back chambered and ready to fire but it's not that way at all. Heck justintime2 send me your Addy in a private convo and I will send you one to play with. ;)

Was in the EOC with all the spooks and LE during the Trump Rally that flew in to town a few days ago and asked one of the officers about these. He said, "oh ya, you're getting ticketed." They look cool and I can think of a few interesting uses for them but if anybody got ticketed it would be me, it's just my luck. Although the IAFF decal gets a few professional courtesies along the way. :thumbsup:

I might send you a PM on that offer as I've got something I'd like to try!

Was in the EOC with all the spooks and LE during the Trump Rally that flew in to town a few days ago and asked one of the officers about these. He said, "oh ya, you're getting ticketed." They look cool and I can think of a few interesting uses for them but if anybody got ticketed it would be me, it's just my luck. Although the IAFF decal gets a few professional courtesies along the way. :thumbsup:

I might send you a PM on that offer as I've got something I'd like to try!

Send me your addy...... Did you ask what he would write the ticket for.. So far nothing meets the criteria...

I didn't dig further, the room was busy trying to map a way through protesters and identify threats. Was pretty cool to watch as a fire guy from the inside of the operation! PM enroute...

Back