R.I.P. Dan Potts

lil charlie

Registered
A friend of mine died this weekend in a group skydiving accident. I don’t know much right now other than he was performing a group formation dive in San Marcos Texas. Apparently another jumper came in hot and his helmet hit Dan in the back of his head knocking him unconscious. They are not sure if he ever gained consciousness but few people thought they saw him trying to get his shoot open at the last second. He was unable to deploy it and crashed into the ground. The investigators are reviewing everyone’s helmet cams to get the full picture. Dan was a retired navy seal with over a 1000 jumps, he jumped every chance he could. I guess all I can do at this point is hope he never woke up and died instantly.

That is so awful to hear :down:

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your friend. Thoughts are with his family and friends.

R.I.P. Dan

I'm deeply sorry about your friend. I hope he was still unconscious too and only remembers doing what he loved.

I have been looking on the net all morning trying to find out more info. The only thing I found was where two divers died but it was south of Houston. San Marcos in NW, near Austin. It could be that the guy who told me about got the location wrong. The story about the two that died on Friday was very basic and didn’t release any names. In that case one died when he hit the ground and the other was sent by life flight to a hospital where he later died.

R.I.P :please:

I thought those things had something that would automatically deploy if it hasn't deployed by certain altitude?

Sorry for your loss :down:

Very Sorry for your loss Charlie, Prayers sent to family and friends.

R.I.P. Dan:please:

Very sorry for your loss Sir! My condolences to you, his family and friends.

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

BLUE SKIES FELLOW JUMPER

Let me look in to this Charlie. Question: Was HE wearing a helmet, and was he wearing an AAD and had it turned on? WHen doing large formation jumping, or ANY RW jumping really, wearing a hard helmet and an automatic opener is just about mandatory....Several people have died over the years from exactly this. Unexperienced people often make the mistake of diving directly AT a formation then not being able to brake in time. Which is why you should always aim a little off so if you can't stop you go past. If you ever seen some of my videos posted, you'd see just how fast you can be diving on a formation.

Sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and Dan's family and friends.
RIP

Ok, here is what I understand: Jumper had two rigs, one equipped with an automatic opener (AAD $1400) and a bare-bones backup rig without. His good rig had been stolen so he was jumping without the benefit of an AAD. Here is a post I found:

I was second on the
scecne belly to Earth impact arm position in classic arcxh reach pull position.
Hackey inplace Loss of a good man

The FOLLOWING IS TOTALLY IMHO: Nothing stated about being knocked out, but could have been disoriented and might have not remembered that he didn't have an AAD and could have been waiting for it to open. "classic..position" means he wasn't unconscious at impact.

Dang shame. This is one of the reasons why I always jump with a fully-functioning AAD.

Ok, here is what I understand: Jumper had two rigs, one equipped with an automatic opener (AAD $1400) and a bare-bones backup rig without. His good rig had been stolen so he was jumping without the benefit of an AAD. Here is a post I found:

I was second on the
scecne belly to Earth impact arm position in classic arcxh reach pull position.

Hackey inplace Loss of a good man

The FOLLOWING IS TOTALLY IMHO: Nothing stated about being knocked out, but could have been disoriented and might have not remembered that he didn't have an AAD and could have been waiting for it to open. "classic..position" means he wasn't unconscious at impact.

Dang shame. This is one of the reasons why I always jump with a fully-functioning AAD.

Where did you find this info? A divers fourm I suspect. I cant find anything, even in the papers.

Yep, closed skydiving forum members only.

Charlie, what you have to remember is that skydivers look at this in a different way. Tragic, yes, but he died doing something he LOVED and there are a lot worse ways to go. Celebrate his life and memory as best you can.

Back