Question for the PROS??

OB_ZXALAN

Registered
I recently had a valve stem failure on the road which required the use of Fix a Flat on the front tire. I took it to the bike shop and the merely pulled the tire away from the rim by the valve stem and stuck a new stem in it. The bike seemed ok but I didn't run it hard for several weeks(because I didnt ride it)But when I did I noticed a severe vibration at 115mph+. I took it to the bike shop and they broke down the wheel, cleaned the crap out, re mounted and balanced it. Now the high speed vibration seems less but I have a definet wobble in the bars at 50mph-75mph, then it changes to a vibration over those speeds. If you take your hands off of the bars at 55 mph, you can watch the bars wobble as if to go into a tank slapper!!but then when you slow to about 40 it disappears. I watched him balance the tire, it needed 1.5 on one side then after respinning the balancer it zeroed out. Do you guys think The wobble/vibration is due to incorrect tire balance on the front or possibly something else?? I am not even going to ride it until its fixed but I don't want to take it to a dealer. Any Ideas? Johnny, what you think? Both tires are new 56J's with about 800 miles. I use this bikeshop a lot for tire mounts as does alot of other people here. I had a ZX11 do exactly the same thing with a fairly new tire and the same shop balanced it too. Thanks for any help!

DO NOT TAKE BOTH YOUR HAND OFF THE BARTS WHILE RIDING!!!!!!!
If you do and you have a wobble NOT a hop It mostly is the steering bearing need to be adjusted.
But if all the sealer is not out of the tire it might hop so find out which it is doing.
I would check the steering bearing anyway a couple of good wheelies will get them out of adjustment

Well, the bike has never really been wheelied hard, not even over about 2-3' and not really slammed down, no stoppies either, didnt have the 55 mph wobble until mounting and balancing of the tire this last time. The very day before it was crystal smooth until 115mph when it developed a vibration, now that seems to be gone but has a wobble in the bars you feel even with both hands on the bars at 55 mph. Have 4000 miles on the bike and the steering feels very tight and crisp, bar play and neck area is nonexistant, I feel it is in the tire balance but I am looking for opinions from my bros here. Thanks

Two things I think
1- make sure axle is torqued
2-have the front tire rebalanced with proper air pressure in it and if it changed junk the tire

Spin the tire and look for high or low spots. Place an object right up to the tire to make any dips or bulges more pronounced. Make sure it is beaded out the same all the way around. looke for any side to side wobble etc. I have seen perfectly balanced and true tires have terrible wobbles at speeds between 35 and 65. next tire would be smooth as glass at any speed but require a pound of weight and wobbly to boot, so go figure.
Jay R Hammock

[This message has been edited by JRBusa (edited 07 August 2000).]

Back