Problems with rocks hitting the radiator

OB_Hayabusero

Registered
Does anyone else have this kind of problems? I live in lovely Louisiana and there are so many rocks on the roads, My radiator already have some big gauges and I'm affraid that I might get some holes in it.

Is there any kind of screen or something else out there that could be be installed to protect the radiator?

Having the same problem here. Just this morning was down on my knees with a piece of wire picking out the gravels from the oil cooler. Hopefully someone will come out with a screen.

I was concered also with possible damage to my radiator. If I do see damage, maybe just make my own from steel mesh, like on your screen doors. I did this with an old CBR 1000 I had, and it worked fine.

161 ®

I would think that someone, somewhere would come up with plastic fixed slats like we see over the radiators on motocross bikes. When I raced MX I took some BIG rock hits and those plastic pieces saved the radiator every time but one. I worry about this too because those curved radiators cost a fortune, I haven't even checked to see how much because then that will jinx me.

Guys, I've posted this before somewhere. I always used black fiberglass screen material sold in any hardware store (falconcop was on the right track) for all my cars and bikes. I did this on the busa at 0 miles as well. The busa requires removing the side and front fairings. The metal meshes on some bikes, like the one on our oil cooler, also doesn't help without the screen. On this one, just pop it out carefully and cut the screen to size on the bottom, but allow 1-1/2 inches on top so the plastic bar will lock it (I left it to size the first time, and the rocks rolled inside, so I had to redo it). ON the radiator, I attached it to both radiator outlets and the mounting points. ALso the plastic bracket will secure it. I used thin wire and twisted it like safety wire to secure it. My radiator has zero damage, same as my cars and other bikes. I hope this helps. I wish I had a digital camera to show you my bike, but it looks like factory, in fact, on the busa you need a flash light even in daylight to see the screen. I just brush off any bugs with a toothbrush after a trip, and the radiator still looks like new.

Back