Temp Gauge jumping Around

Kirupt

Registered
Got hit with a rock and put a hole in my radiator. Plugged it up and got home. I have since changed out the radiator but my temp gauge moves almost constantly between 1/4 to 1/2 and back while riding. Have bleed system including the bleed screw. I don't remember it doing this prior. Maybe my thermostat is faulty? Any help would be appreciated.

How quickly does it vary between 1/4 and 1/2?
A rock shouldnt effect it at all, especially if its not leaking coolant.
Whats the ambient temp like there?
It jumping back an forth is actually a sign that ur thermostat is working properly.
It sounds like u may need to bleed the system more lol

Maybe ur just noticing it more now and super anal about it but ur temp will fluctuate between just over 1/3 and 1/2 during city riding, will stay at about 1/3 during highway, and will fluctuate between 1/2 and just under 1/2 at a stop as the engine fan comes on and off

The rock put a hole in the radiator and it boiled. Probably takes about 45 sec to go up then back and it is constant. Outside temp doesn't seem to effect it. I've tried bleeding it a few times now to no avail. Next time I'm going to change out thermastat and see what happens.

I just reread and i missed that u changed the rad, my apologies.
Does ur temp gauge fit the conditions i described above in my last post?

U shouldn't need a thermostat, but u may have damaged it with a mad overheat i guess. Thermostat not opening would prob make it overheat tho, until u got moving consitently at a decent rate of speed. Ur engine would thus be 'air cooled' at that point.
If it was stuck open, it would take forever to reach operating temp (only if u didnt let it warm up first before riding it). Then once moving for a while it would cool moreso than normal.
Do any of these conditions sound like what ur experiencing?
A thermostat is pretty cheap to put in anyway, and u could save the new coolant u put in. To me, itd just depend on how cool its getting.
Can u start it cold, then as its warming up check the thermostat outflow for temperature. Thatll tell u if its stuck open or not. Report backto us.

Im just really trying to get across a good comparison for u to relate what ur going thru to normal operation. I may be missing the perfect words tho

I understand everything your suggesting. It seems to operate as normal warming up. Around town it does exactly the same thing as on the highway. The only thing I can put it down to is thermostat or the new radiator has some sort of flow problem. I will strip the whole lot and start again I think. Cheers for your input.

I understand everything your suggesting. It seems to operate as normal warming up. Around town it does exactly the same thing as on the highway. The only thing I can put it down to is thermostat or the new radiator has some sort of flow problem. I will strip the whole lot and start again I think. Cheers for your input.
Did you follow the procedure listed on the forum while burping the system. I remember reading about squeezing hoses, rocking the bike, leaning it to one side, etc.

Back