Powers stuntworx race railz

Anyone have pics of the race rails on a GenII?

Been shopping around and just trying to get more visual ideas for protection.

905 race rails

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1300831747.500955.jpg

Sliders are cool because the plastic rubs off (slides) and prevents anything from grabbing and tossing the bike around. But coverage is slim.

The railz look better, but the metal will more easily grab into the road and start tossing the bike around as it's sliding
Not sure if you've actually had a crash yet, but I would assume not cos this has apparently been pulled straight from your ass. Neither one of these products will "grab" any more than your fairings and frame will. In fact, neither one of these products will do much at high speed to protect your bike at all. The point of both is to protect in a fall over.

My Black and Grey K8 would still be on the road if I had ran with a "race rail type system"...while sliders most likely would not have improved her chances of survival...

Lady pulled out in front of me, with my speed around ~30-35mph? Locked the front, and while going down, and tagged her SUV with my headlight assy...then smacked the pavement.

Munchie's Down

My fairing bolt on the right side actually broke the head of the bolt - with no slider attached - stock bike. If I had a slider, it would have increased the leverage at the impact point, breaking off the slider rendering it useless. I don't believe this would happen will a rail system.

Reasons to go with both systems...but in my particular case, the rails would have saved her...:down:

My Black and Grey K8 would still be on the road if I had ran with a "race rail type system"...while sliders most likely would not have improved her chances of survival...

The rails and sliders designed for racing are not the same as regular street use ones though are they? The bloke who manages my local Cycle Gear store races and he was telling me they're a totally different design...much more expensive and considerably stronger.

The rails and sliders designed for racing are not the same as regular street use ones though are they? The bloke who manages my local Cycle Gear store races and he was telling me they're a totally different design...much more expensive and considerably stronger.

You know...I'm really not sure. Most sliders I've seen are either polymer plastic or aluminum, but I've also never seen them mentioned as "Race" or "Street"...but for a drag racer, I would think a full lower cage would be best-case protection, but for any kind of cornering clearance, the full cage/rail system would kill your lean angle (i would think). I would imagine that the single rail (race rails) pictured above would not have to tendancy to snap off like a slider since the two mounting points compared to one, give added strength. I bet the guy you mention is talking about the full cage systems...I'm sure they are more expensive...lots of bends and angles to work out for a tight fit against the bodywork.

If bike crashes and exerts "x" amount of force on a surface, that force is transferred to the bike through whatever mounting method is used (mounting bolt). With a rail having two mounting points, this would allow that impact to be shared by both points, effectively reducing the impact shock (specifically to the mounting hardware - as far as a mechanical failure of hardware)

But as others have said, it really has everything to do with the specifics of how your bike goes down. In my case, i don't think the slider would have held up because the side impact (fall over) was very hard, without a lot of forward (sliding) motion. If the bike fell over a little more "gently" and touched off sliding to a stop...the slider would be fine.

Not that I'm really advocating the rail system exactly, just had an experience that I thought might give a clearer view of why one would work/not work under certain circumstances since rails and sliders are supposed to be an equivalent means of protecting our bikes.

Bolts are rated in tensile strength (popping the head off - with equal pressure under the entire head surface) and shear strength (prying the head off - with pressure applied at one point/one side only)...all fall overs at any speed generate shear forces (bolts always have a much lower shear force rating that tensile strength rating) so two bolts holding a rail down prevent the bolt head from being "pryed" off...because you can't pry on one bolt while the bar has it pinned flat (with help from the other bolt). Also, Force = Weight(mass) * Area...divide the impact force over a larger surface area (rail+2 bolts)...less destruction.

My thoughts - the rail is better...as for asthetics...I like the sliders.

Hi Everyone.

Just for anyone thinking about mounting these Railz or any sliders that require drilling through the fairings a better (and quicker) way to "line things up" would be to use a laser level. Place the laser on a table at the height of the bolt that will mount the slider, then line up the laser with the center of the bolt. Then without moving the bike or the laser, replace the fairing on the bike. The laser will point the the exact spot that needs to be drilled. I think this is more accurate than the method mentioned here as the sharpened bolt will bend the fairing before the fairing can seat all the way and not mark the true location of the hole that needs to be drilled ( although it should be close enough).
Hope this helps.

Rumble.

Back